Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Won't Boot with Thunderbolt Display Attached

After upgrading to Big Sur, when rebooting, MacBook Pro (11,1 late 2013) won't complete booting with Thunderbolt display attached.

I have two Apple monitors attached via the two display ports. One of them is a Thunderbolt display. During the boot process with Thunderbolt display attached, the system won't boot. The Apple logo never appears on either the laptop display or either of the external displays. If I remove the Thunderbolt display, but leave the Apple monitor (27") attached, it boots fine. Then I can attach the Thunderbolt display and it works, but only after the Mac has fully booted.

Any thoughts on this issue? Any others having a similar problem?

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 11:07 PM

Several similar reports in this thread..

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252038098

It looks like a bug in the firmware update that is In the Big Sur “upgrade”. Annoyingly, the firmware remains even if the OS upgrade is rolled back. There appears to be no safe way to roll back the firmware so I wait for a fix from Apple engineers in a future update... Hopefully, soon.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2020 11:07 PM in response to pcjerryz

Several similar reports in this thread..

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252038098

It looks like a bug in the firmware update that is In the Big Sur “upgrade”. Annoyingly, the firmware remains even if the OS upgrade is rolled back. There appears to be no safe way to roll back the firmware so I wait for a fix from Apple engineers in a future update... Hopefully, soon.

Nov 17, 2020 10:41 AM in response to pcjerryz

Hello!

Same issue here with my MacBook Pro (late 2013) and Apple Thunderbolt Display.

When I boot the computer with the display attached to the MacBook, I get no apple logo, only the startup chime and then the MacBook starts repeating the chime and it won’t stop until I disconnect the display.

Also, have anyone noticed that the computer is running a bit hotter than before (under Catalina)? Now I get the fans firing up much more often.

Thank you!

Nov 17, 2020 11:33 AM in response to KasamaDY

KasamaDY,

My MB Pro doesn't appear to get hotter than before the upgrade. As a matter of fact, it appears to be running cooler and uses less memory than with Catalina. I use MenuMeters and memory use is much less according to the app - about 20% less. To be fair, it may be an issue of MenuMeters not being totally compatible with Big Sur, but my fan has not run yet. Just FYI.

Dec 15, 2020 11:20 AM in response to pcjerryz

ALL SORTED...

I spent hours on the phone with Apple Ireland about this issue last week and they remotely took over my Macbook Pro and did loads of unfathomable tech stuff as I watched, including taking time-stamps of actions they did, as they occurred in real time.

They rang me to let me know that they were about to release macOS Big Sur 11.1 and that the engineers had inserted some coding to hopefully sort my/your issue.

They rang again tonight and asked me to download, install and restart to test it, and they waited while the install occurred etc.

And it works.... Macbook now happily reboots with Thunderbolt monitor attached, etc

Feel free to send me £10 notes in brown envelopes to show your eternal gratitude ;O)

Happy Christmas one and all.

Giles

Big Sur Won't Boot with Thunderbolt Display Attached

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.