Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Big Sur, MacBook Pro 15 Late 2013, Thunderbolt Display

Following update to Big Sur, which also updates the firmware, my MacBook Pro 15 late 2013 will not boot if the Thunderbolt Display is connected. I can downgrade to Catalina but the firmware is not downgraded and the problem remains. I have reported it to Apple Support but wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same issue...

The system will boot correctly if the Thunderbolt Display is not connected

Connecting the display after boot the display works correctly on MacOS (which supports hot swop)

I use Bootcamp extensively and that does not support hot swop of the Thunderbolt Display so I

cannot use the display with Windows at all since updating (this is the big issue)

I have not found a reliable way of downgrading the firmware (which is where I believe the root cause of the issue lies)

Mike.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 1:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 2:41 AM

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not alone or imagining things. I only wish I'd seen your post earlier!

I've had a very frustrating 24hrs trying to get Big Sur to work properly with my setup of MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) and 27" Thunderbolt display. The upgrade appeared to fail and booted to a black screen.

• I reinstalled BS through (Command-R) and that didn't work.
  • I reset the NVRAM - no change.
  • Many restarts later, I discovered that it worked in stand alone mode when there were no external devices.
  • There were no issues with returning from sleep mode.
  • The Thunderbolt monitor works as normal but only if connected after MacBook has booted normally. On restart, boot will fail if still connected.

Many resets/restarts, shutdowns later, I have concluded that the issue is starting with the Thunderbolt display connected (and with it my ethernet connection and thunderbolt 2 connected Time Machine drive).

Since the Thunderbolt display is obsolete, I can't see Apple doing anything about its firmware. I hope they can find a work around as it's a pain having to reconnect every time.

I will report this to Apple as well.

Similar questions

60 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2020 2:41 AM in response to OUM2303279

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not alone or imagining things. I only wish I'd seen your post earlier!

I've had a very frustrating 24hrs trying to get Big Sur to work properly with my setup of MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) and 27" Thunderbolt display. The upgrade appeared to fail and booted to a black screen.

• I reinstalled BS through (Command-R) and that didn't work.
  • I reset the NVRAM - no change.
  • Many restarts later, I discovered that it worked in stand alone mode when there were no external devices.
  • There were no issues with returning from sleep mode.
  • The Thunderbolt monitor works as normal but only if connected after MacBook has booted normally. On restart, boot will fail if still connected.

Many resets/restarts, shutdowns later, I have concluded that the issue is starting with the Thunderbolt display connected (and with it my ethernet connection and thunderbolt 2 connected Time Machine drive).

Since the Thunderbolt display is obsolete, I can't see Apple doing anything about its firmware. I hope they can find a work around as it's a pain having to reconnect every time.

I will report this to Apple as well.

Nov 17, 2020 12:17 AM in response to Conrad Taylor1

I thought I'd done that but have just given it another go to be sure - 4 hours later, I have a re-installed Catalina, have restarted and reset PRAM (twice just to be sure), connected the Thunderbolt display (it works if you connect it after booting) - did another Restart and...

• Chime
  • Logo on back of screen/lid alight
  • Nothing on either display...

<sigh>

I'm still convinced that, for me and I suspect many otheres, this needs Apple to release a fixed/updated 'firmware' (I have Boot ROM Version 427.0.0.0.0 showing)

Nov 18, 2020 1:06 PM in response to OUM2303279

I have the same issue with the same configuration (minus Bootcamp):

Upon startup:

• When my Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display is connected:
    • My MacBook immediately has the blank, blackish, backlit screen.
    • The Thunderbolt Display is completely black (not backlit).
    • I hear the Startup chime twice with a brief pause in between.
  • When my Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display is not connected:
    • Startup is successful.
    • I can connect the Thunderbolt Display after Startup and both screens work as they should.

My configuration:

• MacBook Pro 15 (late 2013)
    • Processor: 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    • Monitor: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB
  • Apple Thunderbolt Display 27"
  • WD My Passport for Mac 2TB

I disconnected external devices and re-installed Big Sur. It made no difference.

-Phil

-Phil

Nov 14, 2020 9:19 AM in response to Donaldfromchippenham

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue when my Macbook pro 13 retina late 2013 connected to my thunderbolt display.

I have opened a case with apple support. Been waiting on the phone for 2 hours to get senior support then I guess there is some automatic funtion on my iphone that disconnects the call after 2 hours. Will try to reach support again when they are less busy.

Nov 14, 2020 9:26 AM in response to OUM2303279

Update: Apple Support v helpful. After a comprehensive set of tests, I was passed onto a senior advisor who double checked and did a data capture exercise including the past history. It's still about the Thunderbolt Display being connected during the boot process.

They should now have all the evidence from my predicament now and will be sending onwards for further assessment.

Nov 16, 2020 4:21 AM in response to andreikalinin77

I'm sorry, I can't get past the annoyance of having my previously very functional Macbook and its many associated peripherals for both business and music rendered unusable by an 'upgrade' that has no way for me to safely back out.

I'm a little surprised that there isn't more about it on the internet. I must be an earlier adopter than I thought.

Nov 16, 2020 9:23 PM in response to keithkeith

During my first try of installing macOS Big Sur, I reinstalled Catalina and noticed a similar black screen issue. However, I was able to correct it by doing a Restart + PRAM reset (i.e. Command + Option + P + R). Then I double checked with my Apple Thunderbolt Display connected by doing another Restart and I was able to successfully boot into macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina) without a black or blackish screen.

Nov 17, 2020 8:43 AM in response to OUM2303279

I can confirm the same Big Sur black login screen issue occurs on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) when the 27" Apple Thunderbolt display is connected at power on (my normal "home office" configuration).

When display cable is disconnected, the system boots normally to login screen.

If you try to connect the display cable prior to login, the login window will freeze and you need to reboot.

If you connect the display cable after login has completed, the external display is recognized and works normally.

I reverted my MBP back to Catalina via Time Machine and the same annoying display behavior now occurs under Catalina - it did not do that before. I suspect that some upgraded firmware is to blame.

No amount of PRAM or SMC resets seems to fix the issue.

Nov 17, 2020 9:05 AM in response to ddkpe

Did you try reset P-ram after revert back to Catalina?

advise by Taylor above the thread:

During my first try of installing macOS Big Sur, I reinstalled Catalina and noticed a similar black screen issue. However, I was able to correct it by doing a Restart + PRAM reset (i.e. Command + Option + P + R). Then I double checked with my Apple Thunderbolt Display connected by doing another Restart and I was able to successfully boot into macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina) without a black or blackish screen.

Nov 17, 2020 11:44 AM in response to keithkeith

Sleep/PowerNap functionality also is affected after reverting back to Catalina. I went to lunch and came back to a black screen again. Needed to unplug the Thunderbolt display after powering down & booting up.

Tried PRAM and SMC resets - no luck at all. I continue to suspect that bad firmware was loaded during the Big Sur upgrade.

Nov 17, 2020 8:41 PM in response to keithkeith

Update: Earlier today, I finished a call with an Apple Care senior advisor regarding the black screen issue with macOS 11.0.1 Big Sur.  I reproduced the issue, captured logs, and sysdiagnose information that was upload to Apple's servers. Then the advisor generated a request to engineering and they have 5 days to review the issue based on the data provided in the request.  Finally, Apple Care senior advisor scheduled followup call regarding the request to engineering on November 24th. Thus, I'll update the thread with any information I receive from Apple.

--

Think different and code well,

-Conrad

MacOS Big Sur, MacBook Pro 15 Late 2013, Thunderbolt Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.