Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

media keys not working properly on Big Sur

I've just upgraded to Big Sur on my three year old iMac. Since the upgrade the following media keys do not work:

play/pause (F8), rewind (F7) and fast forward (F9) do not work for Apple Music or VLC, although they work fine for apple podcasts and YouTube videos in safari, which indicates that it is not a keyboard problem.

Mission Control (F3) and Launch Pad (F4) do not work at all.

The more universal controls such as dim (F1), brighter (F2), but (F10), volume down (F11) and volume up (F12) still work fine.

Is there some configuration I need to change to make these keys work again as everything was working fine on Catalina? Can anyone advise me on how to fix this?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 1:14 AM

Situation is sort of fixed but weird. I normally use a Unicomp Mac keyboard and when the iMac was started with this keyboard connected the media keys didn't work for Music on any keyboard connected to the iMac (Matias Tactile Pro and bluetooth Apple Magic Keyboard). However starting the iMac up with only the Tactile Pro keyboard connected seems to enable the keys for Music, even on the Unicomp if this is connected after startup.

So fixed, but strange.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2020 1:14 AM in response to peterecoley

Situation is sort of fixed but weird. I normally use a Unicomp Mac keyboard and when the iMac was started with this keyboard connected the media keys didn't work for Music on any keyboard connected to the iMac (Matias Tactile Pro and bluetooth Apple Magic Keyboard). However starting the iMac up with only the Tactile Pro keyboard connected seems to enable the keys for Music, even on the Unicomp if this is connected after startup.

So fixed, but strange.

Nov 19, 2020 8:13 AM in response to zit

I am having a similar issue. Not only are the media keys not working on my (Apple Wireless) Keyboard, but on my Touch Bar as well. Only way to control Apple Music is directly using the app.

If Music.app has not yet launched, hitting the PLAY/PAUSE button on the keyboard will launch it, but otherwise it does nothing.

Dec 10, 2020 9:48 AM in response to ehmjay

I'm having the exact same issue as ehmjay.

The media keys don't control Music.app at all, and the Now Playing widget in Control Center shows nothing.

Hitting either Play/Pause on the keyboard or on the Control Center opens Music.app, but from there on, nothing happens.

I read that sometimes Chrome hijacked the Media Keys and prevented them from working elsewhere.

I disabled it by going into the flags:

chrome://flags/#hardware-media-key-handling

This fixed the issue for a bit, however it once again started happening. I've restarted the computer, reset the PRAM, and SMC and neither helped.

The other Media keys: Launchpad, Exposé, Brightness, Volume work as intended.

media keys not working properly on Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.