Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to sync iPad Air (2020) with MBP (USB-A)?

I just ordered an iPad Air (2020). These are USB-C, and my MBP is USB-A. I purchased a USB-A to USB-C adapter on Amazon, hoping I can use the adapter with my battery packs. Can I use the cable that comes with the iPad Air 4 for syncing as well as charging? I've read on one Apple page "no" and "yes" on a second page. The second article is for the iPad Pro, so it might be an over-reach to think the same advice applies to the iPad Air 4.

Does anyone have any direct experience syncing an older USB-A only Mac (or Windows) to an iPad Air 4, or possibly a USB-C iPad Pro?

If I have a USB-C to USB-A adapter (like the one linked above), do I simply need a USB-A to USB-A cable?

Has anyone used a USB-C to the USB-A cable for syncing? Something reasonably priced (<$10). If so, please post a link. There are many, and some seem to work, and others do not. Direct experience would be helpful.

I'm old enough to remember when Apple stuff "just worked". *sigh*

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 9:23 PM

My iPad arrived today. I used the included cable and this USB C Female to USB Male Adapter to sync, and it worked as expected. I used the same adapter and cable and it charges just fine from a power pack.

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 23, 2020 12:32 PM in response to Allan Marcus1

Hi Allan Marcus1,

Thanks for the post, and congratulations on the new iPad! As we understand it, you want to know how you can connect it to a computer for syncing. We're glad to provide some information.

It looks like you've reviewed this resource titled Connect iPad and your computer using USB. The text below sounds like it will apply to your question:

"If your iPad came with a USB-C Charge Cable and your computer has a USB port, use a USB-C to USB Adapter and a USB-A cable (each sold separately)"

You can check out this link to find out more About the Apple USB-C to USB Adapter:

"Data transfer and charging other devices

USB-A    

Use the USB-A port of this adapter with flash drives, cameras, USB hubs, and other devices that connect to USB-A for data transfer or charging. It supports data-transfer speeds up to 5Gbps (USB 3.1 Gen 1). 

For example, you can connect the Apple Lightning to USB Cable to this port to sync and charge your iPhone, iPad, or iPod. Or use the Apple USB-C to Lightning cable to connect your iOS device without an adapter.

This adapter requires no power to operate, but devices that you plug into it might draw power from your Mac. To connect to USB-A devices and charge your MacBook at the same time, you can use the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter or Apple USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter, which also provides a USB-C port for charging."

Take care!

Nov 23, 2020 2:20 PM in response to ryane77

Thanks for cutting nad pasting the info I have already reviewed.

Please look at my original post. any help answering the question I asked would be appreciated. I will post my questions again.

Does anyone have any direct experience syncing an older USB-A only Mac (or Windows) to an iPad Air 4, or possibly a USB-C iPad Pro?

If I have a USB-C to USB-A adapter (like the one linked above), do I simply need a USB-A to USB-A cable?

Has anyone used a USB-C to the USB-A cable for syncing? Something reasonably priced (<$10). If so, please post a link. There are many, and some seem to work, and others do not. Direct experience would be helpful.

How to sync iPad Air (2020) with MBP (USB-A)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.