Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scaled mode (HiDPI) does not work correctly (is blurry) on 1440p HDMI display on Mac Mini 2018 with Big Sur

I can't get scaled mode to work correctly on a 1440p HDMI display on a 2018 Mac Mini. It's blurry, like it is just scaling the resolution selected to 1440p rather than doing HiDPI. Unscaled it is working correctly and is a crisp 1440p. Neither display options in System Preferences or SwitchResX is able to make it work. 4k HiDPI is working correctly on the 4k monitor that is connected via Thunderbolt.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 4:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 2:47 PM

Ok found the answer. Apple does not offer HiDPI/Scaled/Retina on screens lower than 4k resolution or apparently in some cases even 4k displays. It works best on Thunderbolt displays but it did work for me on another 4k display via DisplayPort, it just didn't offer any options about it. The text was crisp though.

This is disappointing, there is no reason not to support it on a 1440p display.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2020 2:47 PM in response to idjwert

Ok found the answer. Apple does not offer HiDPI/Scaled/Retina on screens lower than 4k resolution or apparently in some cases even 4k displays. It works best on Thunderbolt displays but it did work for me on another 4k display via DisplayPort, it just didn't offer any options about it. The text was crisp though.

This is disappointing, there is no reason not to support it on a 1440p display.

Nov 16, 2020 4:29 AM in response to idjwert

lcds running other resolutions then their native or a modulus 2 of their native will always be blurry really

if you lower the resolution to 1280*720 then it's a modulus 2 and 1 pixel will be 4 pixels which will be sharp

if it's not a modulus 2 resolution then it has to estimate when a pixel has to get one colour or another, it's blur

Nov 16, 2020 5:03 AM in response to Rudegar

Yes, I did try to set it to 720 scaled.

Note that I am not trying to adjust the actual resolution, I am using HiDPI or scaled mode. It's supposed to stay in the native resolution of the LCD. It doesn't have to be 2x, any resolution will work because it is rendering everything for that scale, not just scaling the image. I just tested 2560x1440 on my 3840x2160 and it is just as crisp as 1920x1080 or 3840x2160. It is not for adjusting the resolution but in fact for adjusting the size of the fonts. They will be rendered at higher resolution just take up the same space they would at the specified lower resolution.

Scaled mode (HiDPI) does not work correctly (is blurry) on 1440p HDMI display on Mac Mini 2018 with Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.