Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quick delete in messages

Before Big Sur I was able to option-command-K and quickly remove messages....is there a way to do this in messages in Big Sur?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 4:58 AM

13 replies

Nov 24, 2020 1:49 AM in response to jerrodrumley

I had to reconfigure keyboard shortcut to Option+Cmd + k (only because that it what it used to be) through System Preferences. Ensure that you put three periods after Delete Conversation.

Highlight the message you wish to delete, then use the above combination. That should bring up a Cancel Delete box.

Tab to shift highlight to 'Delete', then press spacebar.

I still trying to work out multiple deletions...

Hope it helps.

Dec 15, 2020 5:24 AM in response to Deed007

Go to System Preferences, through Apple Menu or Launchpad.

Open Keyboard, open Shortcuts tab, scroll down lefthand menu to 'Apps Shortc...'

A window will open with a plus and minus box at the bottom left.

Click +, a new menu will appear. Open 'All applications' and click down on Messages.

In the menu title type, Delete Conversation... (note the 3 periods)

In the Keyboard Shortcut box type 'option Command k' without the quotes. you can choose whatever variation you like.

Click 'Add'

Then ensure you tick the 'Use keyboard navigation to move etc.' box.

Job done. Hope it works for you.

Jan 19, 2021 6:40 AM in response to Stevelaszcz

Thank you for your swift reply...

Hi, Steve,

First, I had wanted only to delete one message, not the whole convo...but I must have misunderstood the other messages in the thread, as I thought I would be deleting just one message. (I am happy that the convo does exist on my other devices, as I hadn’t wanted to delete it.)

2) I would have *wanted* to delete just that one message, but on every device, including anyone I’d have sent it to. I don’t get the usefulness of deleting a message or convo on just one device.

Even though your response didn’t help me, here, I am grateful for your swift reply. 😊

Quick delete in messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.