Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5101F error

I had a pleasant discussion with someone at apple support regarding my second hand mac pro late 2013 model. I am trying to do a BIG SUR clean install over the internet. For some reason the computer does not recognise my wi-fi, If I plug an ethernet cable, at some point in the downloading sequence after the install menu the computer freezes and I get this error.

Yes, I've tried to install BIG SUR from a bootable USB stick I am stuck in a LOOP, all the install seems to advance well till the moment when the computer needs to restart, that's the moment when everything starts from the beginning.

what I find to be very curious is that Apple did not document this error prior to BIG SUR launch,

all the documented errors here. Even stranger was that the person at apple support did not have the documentation either.

wierd. If someone has any info for me - very much appreciated

Mac Pro

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 6:49 AM

5 replies

Dec 3, 2020 9:36 AM in response to REIKANO

Hello!

I am so glad you post your message!

I have the same error message and also have a Mac Pro 2013 with Big Sur.

Here is my situation. My Mac Pro 2013 (second hand) with a relatively new SSD (Intel 660p 1TB) does not update its firmware. I tried to clean install Mojave, Catalina and High Sierra (in order to force any possible firmware update). Nothing did update my EFI that stayed to 130.0.0.0.0 whereas it should be at 137.0.0.0.0 . Those firmware update problem lead me to try Big Sur just in case. It did not change anything...

Those firmware problems gives me problem with my Mac Pro as it is an audio production workstation (communication with external audio interface with thunderbolt etc...).

Right now I already spent to much time trying to solve this... With a windows PC you would just update the drivers and voilà... I do not know what to do to solve this.

Dec 6, 2020 10:37 PM in response to REIKANO

Try this, I was also getting the same 5101F error..

pressing Option+Command+R doesn’t work so I reinstalled the earlier OS by pressing Shift+Option+Command+R and then Start button.

It takes nearly 30-40 minutes to reinstall the earlier version of Mac OS. In my case I had Catalina installed by earlier version of Sierra installed.

This will definitely work..

5101F error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.