You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur & Bad Magic!

I experienced the Bad Magic iboot flag error when trying to update my 2018 mac mini (that i just bough in July from apple). to big sur.

I have reset nvram, erased a boot camp partition, erased the drive and attempted internet recovery, attempted to install via flash drive, in the end, I had to install Catalina, which I actually got installed. Still wont let me upgrade to Big Sur though.

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 12:12 PM

24 replies

Nov 23, 2020 2:21 AM in response to chefdesanto

Same issue here with a 2020 (2018) Mac mini i5 and user-upgraded RAM to 16GB). What I have tried so far:

• Update Catalina to Big Sur (App Store, bootable installer)
  • Clean-install to Big Sur (bootable installer)
  • Update of a clean-installed Mojave to Big Sur (App Store, bootable installer)

All of this without success. The external boot settings were set accordingly, all to the lowest security settings available (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208198). FileVault off if that's relevant.

Nov 16, 2020 12:13 PM in response to chefdesanto

Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and try downloading and installing from there.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Nov 23, 2020 10:00 AM in response to chefdesanto

No, I’ve never connected a eGPU. The only thing I can think of is that the current Big Sur installer (11.0.1) is causing these issues and is messing with the T2 chip - but I am only speculating.

I’m tempted trying a beta version of Big Sur but I don’t have time for all this in my free time. Apple needs to address this. Any way of making them aware of this? I know some folks on Reddit already contacted Apple support.

Dec 1, 2020 5:14 PM in response to chefdesanto

I also have a 2018 mac mini and ran into this issue. I spent hours online with support, who instructed me to do a firmware revive using Apple Configurator 2. This failed. That means my mac mini that was working fine prior to reaching out to them was now no longer working. I took it into the store for a genius bar appointment. They said they could get it working and it would take 24 hours. Less than a day later, they called and said I had to pay for a new logic board. So, now I have to pay $450 for a new part because it's been over a year since I bought it and I reached out to support for assistance. If you just bought it in July, you should be able to have them replace it within warranty.

Dec 1, 2020 10:51 PM in response to jaiksmith

This is crazy. I also spend hours on the phone with Apple yesterday and the day before. After trying basically everything I could do as a user, they suggested me to bring it in for service. Luckily I am still covered, but this issue seems to be introduced by Apple. Not sure how the chances are regarding a Mac mini service program, but obviously many users across the world are affected. If I was asked to pay I would probably hold off for now.

Other than that, here in Germany, they discouraged me to use Configurator. Both senior support employees suspect the issue to be the T2 chip.

Dec 26, 2020 3:34 AM in response to chefdesanto

I had this problem. My Mac had third-party RAM installed. I put back in the original RAM supplied by Apple with the machine, and that fixed the problem. Could be coincidence though.

If you have third party RAM installed, I suggest try going back to the original modules if you still have them, before attempting the Configurator approach. There may not be a problem with the T2 chip after all.

Good luck!

Dec 27, 2020 1:33 AM in response to Jon Kelway

Hi there, thanks for sharing your experience. It turned out that exactly your solution also worked for me.

So I originally bought my i5 mini with 8GB RAM directly from Apple and upgraded to 16GB Ram (Crucial) myself. Everything worked fine as long as I sticked to Mojave or Catalina. When attempting to update to Big Sur, I had the BAG MAGIC error - I tried installing Big Sur any possible way (but kept my fingers off the revive procedure).

Until I read your comment, I did not consider returning to the original RAM sticks because some other user reported it not to be successful. Anyway, I just gave it a shot this morning because all apple service centres are closed for at least two more weeks (lockdown). Now I am writing this comment from macOS 11.1. Thank you.

I'll re-install the 16GB stick to have my increased memory back, but still curious to know If future security updates are affected. Will update if I run into issues again.

Feb 3, 2021 11:44 PM in response to chefdesanto

Following up on my last post. As I said, the third-party RAM caused the error message for me. I could update to Big Sur by temporary installing the original RAM. After successfully updating to Big Sur, I opened the mini up again, removed one of the original sticks and replaced it with the 16GB crucial which caused the problems. So my mini has 20GB installed in total (yes this is possible, IMO additional ram beats any dual-channel considerations). With this setup, the update from 11.1 to 11.2 was hassle-free, and everything worked as expected.

Big Sur & Bad Magic!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.