Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help reinstalling Big Sur on MacBook Pro

I'm trying to reinstall Big Sur on a MacBook Pro (A1502) since a friend of mine wants to give it away to his sister; I already erased the hard drive (no need for back ups), then selected "reinstall MacOS Big Sur".

After what I assume is the system downloading the OS, it restarts and a message tells me to wait for about 25 minutes. After that's done I get a message: "an error occured preparing the software update".

I've tried checking the date since some guides suggest a wrong date might be causing this. Also I don't understand why it says it is an update, I just want to reinstall the OS that was working before we erased the hard drive.

Currently I feel like the Mac Pro is as good as bricked, since I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Posted on May 3, 2022 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2022 11:37 AM

PabloAVG2 wrote:

I'm trying to reinstall Big Sur on a MacBook Pro (A1502) since a friend of mine wants to give it away to his sister; I already erased the hard drive (no need for back ups), then selected "reinstall MacOS Big Sur".
After what I assume is the system downloading the OS, it restarts and a message tells me to wait for about 25 minutes. After that's done I get a message: "an error occured preparing the software update".

I've tried checking the date since some guides suggest a wrong date might be causing this. Also I don't understand why it says it is an update, I just want to reinstall the OS that was working before we erased the hard drive.
Currently I feel like the Mac Pro is as good as bricked, since I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

???

verify you are using the Safari browser to download/initiate the macOS links.

The older macOS installer backups on this server:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

https://locate.apple.com/country

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2022 11:37 AM in response to PabloAVG2

PabloAVG2 wrote:

???

verify you are using the Safari browser to download/initiate the macOS links.

The older macOS installer backups on this server:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

https://locate.apple.com/country

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Need help reinstalling Big Sur on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.