Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error installing Big Sur

I tried install the Big Sur update and it didn’t work, now whenever I turn on my mac and login it automatically starts the update. It then gets stuck on less than a minute remaining for a while but eventually goes to an error message saying “An error occurred preparing the software update”. From this I can’t access much else other than what’s on the grey screen.

Im using a MacBook Air.

It would be great if someone could help me with this issue.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 1:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 6:30 AM

Second to last option - Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version this involves recent Time Machine Backup.

If this does not work - advise and offer an option but it will involves loosing everything on the computer and can not be restored.

Similar questions

14 replies

Mar 29, 2021 2:22 AM in response to NotChoco03

Force Shutdown computer via Power - Touch ID Button ( both are the same button ). Disconnect all external drives. Connect to charger. Restart and Immediately hold - Shift - key. This is Safe Mode and will do a Repair Disk, Clear cache files and only load Apple Software and Fonts. This process will load much slower - Norma. If all goes well - it may or may not allow the upGrade process to complete. If it does complete - Setup Assist of Big Sur will be presented.

Error installing Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.