Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Bluetooth automatically connects

Hi,

In Big Sur my Macbook Pro 2015 retina automatically connects to unknown Bluetooth devices and I can't unpair them or block them.

For instance 53-3D-49-93-A5-3A is an unknown device, once this is connected I loose my mouse and keyboard inputs. This is very frustrating. There is no unpair option only the X. After I disconnect then again it automatically connects to another random Bluetooth device. I have no idea what this device is.

How can I set to not connect to unknown devices?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 12:12 AM

24 replies

Nov 17, 2020 7:58 AM in response to somethingFishy589

The address changes time to time and automatically connects to it. WTF?!

70-b6-6c-3a-30-d2:

Address: 70-B6-6C-3A-30-D2

Random Address: Yes

Resolvable Address: Yes

Services:

Paired: No

Configured: No

Connected: Yes

Bluetooth Core Spec: 1.0b

Class of Device: Low Energy

AFH: On

AFH Map: fffd0f801b

RSSI: -62

Role: Peripheral

Connection Mode: Active Mode

Interval: 0 ms

Jan 1, 2021 7:40 AM in response to codq

It took my a couple of days until I figured out what was happening with my Macs BT.

First of all it has nothing todo with MX Keys Mouse / Keyboard. There is a bluetooth devices which was once paired with the Mac but somehow (maybe you manually deleted the paired files on your mac) lost all the paired device list. The unknown BT device was still "paired" with the Mac.

You need to find out what device connects to your Macbook. When that strange device is connected to your Macbook run the following Terminal command line before it's disconnected : system_profiler SPBluetoothDataType

This will print all the devices which are paired and connected to your Macbbok. From here check the unknowns BT ID. Look at the "RSSI: " which represents the strength of the BT connection. Compare these values with your MX Keys/Mouse and try to guess how far the unknown BT devices is. After you guessed it you need to remove / repair your device to your Macbook Pro.

In my case, I did reset all my BT connections on my Macbook Pro (deleted some paired files, reset BT connections, all the things that I found on other forums) but my IPhones BT pairing was never reset. So my IPhone tried to connect to my Mac. This caused to drop my other BT connections. I noticed time to time the MX Keys Connections were dropped once I unlocked my IPhone. The RSSI signals values were pretty close to my MX Keys. Moved my Iphone in the room (before losing the unknown BT connection), run the command line again and noticed that the RSSI values were much bigger compared to my Keys so I knew it was my Iphone. On the Iphone there was no paired entry in the Bluetooth Settings, this confused me even more. The only solution I had was to reset my Network Adapter/Settings on my Iphone (Reset your Network Settings. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings) this removed the invisible Mac Paired and all my Wifi saved passwords.

In other cases it might be other IPhones or even other bluetooth devices. Try to rule out all the BT devices that are near your mac.

Hope this helps in your debugging. Happy new year!

Jan 11, 2021 3:22 AM in response to Wlllz

You might have a different problem. It's really hard to debug these BT issue. It took me days until I figured it out. The most annoying thing is to figure out what device is trying to connect.

You can also try to turn off Handoff on your MAC.

Here are some potential fixes: https://macreports.com/fix-bluetooth-problems-in-macos-catalina/

Feb 21, 2021 5:17 AM in response to somethingFishy589

Oh my God! I have the exact same problem. Multiple times my keyboard and trackpad get disconnected and I was thinking it was a low battery issue of the keyboard and trackpad. Recently Is started noticing a random rouge BT device connected to my laptop when this happens. I have to disconnect this device to make the keyboard and mouse work. The name of the device is not shown, only the numeric id. Recommendation is to check for apps that have BT access?

Feb 22, 2021 1:36 AM in response to harinair

Try to disable handoff, maybe this works.

If that doesn't work try to isolate what BT device tries to connect to your macbook. Keep in mind that your Macbook doesn't know the devices name so just the ID is printed. The "rogue" device once was connected to your makbook.

Probably an Apple device like IPhone, Ipad, or maybe a different device. Try to roll out one by one the devices in your room, for instance Disable all BT devices which are not used anymore with your Mac or just move all BT devices far away from your macbook.

In my case it was the IPhone which was connecting to my mac, I never manually paired it to my mac, it's Apple magic. I noticed the BT connection drop when I was unlocking my phone.

Feb 22, 2021 5:09 AM in response to somethingFishy589

Well alright! I turned off Handoff on my MBP16 (System Preferences> General>"Allow Handoff...") and we're getting close to half-a-day without any rouge connections knocking off my legitimate Bluetooth devices. I

If this is indeed the culprit, then I can absolutely live without Handoff if it means feeling secure that my keyboard/trackpad aren't going to be disconnected 12 times per day.

Handoff is occassionaly useful for sharing clipboards between devices, but it's not an essential feature in my workflow. I'll just use Gladys, or a scratch Note for passing off text and links between my iOS devices and my Mac.

I do hope Apple continues to iterate and fix this problem on future Big Sur releases; if Handoff is what's causing this problem, then I hope that this information helps them squash the bug.

Feb 22, 2021 5:21 AM in response to codq

If you have the nerves you can try to reset the "Network Settings" ("Reste Network Settings") on your IPhone/Ipad/... This will wipe all saved Wifi passwords and all paired BT's. You will need to type your passwords for your Wifi and re-pair your devices. This is what it worked for me but I can't guarantee it will work for you.

I still think locating the BT device is the best option. With the system_profiler SPBluetoothDataType command line you can identify the signals strength and pinpoint the Unknown BT Device location based on the RSSI value . (Eg check MX Keys/Keyboard RSSI vs the Unknown device Signal).

Apr 24, 2021 4:40 AM in response to tianshuo

Ugh, sorry to hear.

Once I turned off 'Handoff', the problem effectively went away—I haven't had the issue in a month of more. Fingers crossed that this persists...

Handoff was useful for copying text on my iOS devices and being able to easily paste on my Mac, but it's a small price to pay for having my BT devices stay connected.

Jun 9, 2021 7:37 PM in response to somethingFishy589

Hey there!

I may try resetting the Bluetooth module:

While pressing Shift and Option, click the Bluetooth icon on the top right menu bar, and select:

Reset Bluetooth Module

Factory reset all connected Apple devices.

Remove all devices.

Remove any items from System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Items, by highlighting the items and pressing “-“ below, then restart your Mac and pair again.

I have also had luck with similar issues by changing the name of my Mac > Restarting. Same with your iPhone/iOS devices.

For Mac, go to:

System Preferences > Sharing > Edit > adjust the name to something even a little different, hit the back arrow and go back to Sharing Preferences to be sure the new name is there, then restart.

For the iPhone and/or iOS devices, go to:

Settings > General > About. Change the name slightly to something else, even if it’s just one number or character, and restart, then test.

Otherwise, can you list all Bluetooth devices you have in the area, and what they are? (You May have already fixed it, but this question is for all).

Cheers.

Big Sur Bluetooth automatically connects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.