Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur - External disc not mounting

Hi All,

I have a question. Just after the software upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur, my mac (Macbook Air 13-inch, Early 2015) stopped mounting any usb external discs. Doesn't matter, if it's an usb ssd card reader, usb stick, or external hdd. Does anyone have a similar problem, and any possible solution?

Thanks

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 4:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 4:11 AM

Nieznosna3 wrote:

Hi All,

I have a question. Just after the software upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur, my mac (Macbook Air 13-inch, Early 2015) stopped mounting any usb external discs. Doesn't matter, if it's an usb ssd card reader, usb stick, or external hdd. Does anyone have a similar problem, and any possible solution?

Thanks

Have you rebooted and tried again?

You can Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2020 4:11 AM in response to Nieznosna3

Nieznosna3 wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks

Have you rebooted and tried again?

You can Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Nov 17, 2020 4:15 AM in response to leroydouglas

Yep, I did, same situation. Apple advisor said that I probably have to wait for the software upgrade, with the new drivers etc., but it sounds a bit weird. I mean, if that was the case- I think everybody would have that problem, not just me...

I've done the NVRAM/PRAM reset as well, didn't help. I've done another one, control+alt+shift for 7 sec, then power with the prev.3 keys for another 7 sec- as advised by the Apple advisor, but that ain't help either.

Nov 17, 2020 10:28 AM in response to alex6969

So it looks like I’m not the only one then. If the problem is with the drivers, I don’t quite understand, why are they releasing the software without them... it’s so annoying..., all the data is in there, I was always using it as an extension of my HDD, and now there’s no access.. Hopefully the next update with necessary drivers will be released soon.

Jan 5, 2021 10:50 AM in response to Nieznosna3

I have the same problem? Can you see it in your system information panel ?

I do :

Product ID:	0x1093
  Vendor ID:	0x059f  (LaCie)
  Version:	1.00
  Serial Number:	XXXX
  Speed:	Up to 5 Gb/s
  Manufacturer:	LaCie
  Location ID:	0x01100000 / 3
  Current Available (mA):	900
  Current Required (mA):	896
  Extra Operating Current (mA):	0
  Media:
Rugged USB-C:
  Capacity:	5 TB (5,000,981,078,016 bytes)
  Removable Media:	No
  BSD Name:	disk2
  Logical Unit:	0
  Partition Map Type:	GPT (GUID Partition Table)
  S.M.A.R.T. status:	Verified
  USB Interface:	0
  Volumes:
EFI:
  Capacity:	209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
  File System:	MS-DOS FAT32
  BSD Name:	disk2s1
  Content:	EFI
  Volume UUID:	0E2XXXX
LaCie:
  Capacity:	5 TB (5,000,770,093,056 bytes)
  File System:	ExFAT
  BSD Name:	disk2s2
  Content:	Microsoft Basic Data
  Volume UUID:	EXXXX

Trying

% sudo fsck_exfat -q /dev/rdisk2s2
fsck_exfat: Can't open /dev/rdisk2s2: Resource busy

So the drive seems to be hanging....

Jan 12, 2021 8:03 AM in response to Nieznosna3

I was having a similar problem when I first plugged my new external disc drive into my macbook pro, which was recently updated to Big Sur. I finally decided to try attaching the drive through my Andobil usb-c hub. Though this should be unnecessary since the external drive is already type c, it worked beautifully. Hope that works for someone else as well.

Big Sur - External disc not mounting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.