Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail problem

i can't see my pop mail account in the left of screen in mail list as a title. But can see in the favourites as only received mails and sent mails.

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 5:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 10:26 AM

Since an image is worth a thousand words, here is a screenshot of my Mail sidebar.

I have four e-mail accounts: two are POP, the other is iCloud, and a third is IMAP.

As you can see: there are the "All Inboxes" (where ALL accounts appear, POP or not); I closed it for privacy.

There "All Drafts" and "All Sent" (again, if I were to open the disclosure triangle, in both cases I would have boxes for each account, including the POP ones).

There is "On My Mac". This is where I have created all my mailbox hierarchy and have thousands of e-mails in dozens of mailboxes, stored, as the name says, on my mac - not synced to any server.

And there are boxes for iCloud and for my IMAP account.

All correct, all as it should be.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2020 10:26 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Since an image is worth a thousand words, here is a screenshot of my Mail sidebar.

I have four e-mail accounts: two are POP, the other is iCloud, and a third is IMAP.

As you can see: there are the "All Inboxes" (where ALL accounts appear, POP or not); I closed it for privacy.

There "All Drafts" and "All Sent" (again, if I were to open the disclosure triangle, in both cases I would have boxes for each account, including the POP ones).

There is "On My Mac". This is where I have created all my mailbox hierarchy and have thousands of e-mails in dozens of mailboxes, stored, as the name says, on my mac - not synced to any server.

And there are boxes for iCloud and for my IMAP account.

All correct, all as it should be.

Nov 25, 2020 8:45 AM in response to iefeoglu

Where are you expecting to see the POP account?

POP accounts do not appear individually like IMAP, iCloud or Exchange accounts do.

The inbox will appear (e.g if you twirl it open you will see an Inbox for each account, including POP accounts), but there are no other mailboxes associated to a POP account. POP works by downloading messages to your computer. Any mailboxes you then create will appear under "On My Mac".

Nov 25, 2020 10:19 AM in response to iefeoglu

Because it is never the case for a POP account.

As I tried to explain, a POP account does not have other mailboxes. Once mail is dowloaded it is no longer associated to the account, any mailboxes you create go under "On My Mac".

That is the nature of POP.

IMAP (including iCloud), and Exchange accounts synchronize client and server. Mailboxes you create for an IMAP account, either in a mail client or a web interface are stored on the server, and synchronize with any other device (e.g. your mac and your iPhone will see the same boxes and messages).

POP does not work like this. If you download a message to your mac, your iPhone does not it, and may not even ever see that message, as it may (depending on settings) be automatically deleted. And you can't create and sync mailboxes on a POP server, because the concept does not even make sense for POP.

Mail problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.