Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music broken - "Genius results can’t be updated right now. An unknown error occurred (-9810)." when trying to re-synch library

Hi friends,

Just upgraded to Big Sur, and everything appears to have gone well. Except Apple Music, apparently.

Genius results can’t be updated right now. An unknown error occurred (-9810).

Please try again later.

And nothing in Music works ... HELP!

What can I do? I've tried authorizing/de-authorizing and still, nothing.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 2:20 PM

Fixed it - here's what's going on... you highly likely have a kernel extension installed (for me it was Avast Anti-Virus) that's cratering your system. Boot into SAFE MODE (hold shift on boot) and remove any anti-virus or anything that could be affecting (hooking into) your kernel. Proxy tools, personal firewall, etc... then reboot and watch how magically your system probably won't behave badly.

Also, go into your profile: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items and disable everything you can... if the system comes back up fine, slowly re-enable things one by one until you find the culprit.

Good luck!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2020 2:20 PM in response to L_WARDEIGHT

Fixed it - here's what's going on... you highly likely have a kernel extension installed (for me it was Avast Anti-Virus) that's cratering your system. Boot into SAFE MODE (hold shift on boot) and remove any anti-virus or anything that could be affecting (hooking into) your kernel. Proxy tools, personal firewall, etc... then reboot and watch how magically your system probably won't behave badly.

Also, go into your profile: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items and disable everything you can... if the system comes back up fine, slowly re-enable things one by one until you find the culprit.

Good luck!

Apple Music broken - "Genius results can’t be updated right now. An unknown error occurred (-9810)." when trying to re-synch library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.