Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages on Big Sur no longer getting/syncing SMS messages

As of today, new SMS messages no longer appear on my MBP running Big Sur. I downloaded and installed Big Sur last week and it had no issues immediately after but today I've been running into a lot of issues even though all my settings are set up correctly. SMS messages do not get forwarded from my iPhone to my MBP and so I missed out on some one-time activation codes until I noticed. SMS messages I send from my iPhone do not appear on MBP. If I send SMS from my MBP, it tells me it was not delivered but then I check my iPhone and it was. iMessages I have no issue with so far so I was wondering if this was affecting anyone else?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 12:24 PM

I had the same problem and I contacted Apple Support directly on the phone. Turned out the the Setting on my phone had gotten changed. Might have happened when I last upgraded the phone. Who knows? These things sometimes happen with Apple upgrades. Anyway, it was in the Settings - Phone - Call on other devices and for some reason under "Allow Calls On" had changed and I changed it back and then my SMS began showing up again on my computer.

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2020 12:24 PM in response to mugnum_parts

I had the same problem and I contacted Apple Support directly on the phone. Turned out the the Setting on my phone had gotten changed. Might have happened when I last upgraded the phone. Who knows? These things sometimes happen with Apple upgrades. Anyway, it was in the Settings - Phone - Call on other devices and for some reason under "Allow Calls On" had changed and I changed it back and then my SMS began showing up again on my computer.

Nov 25, 2020 10:22 AM in response to mugnum_parts

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

If you want to, you can send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner. Pick the closest topic you can find.

Click here to send Feedback          

Dec 2, 2020 12:19 PM in response to mugnum_parts

Two part solution for me:

1) My Calls on Other Devices (Settings - Phone) was off as well. I have an old setup with separate Apple & iCloud Ids. I had to make sure FaceTime and Messages on both phone and laptop were all logged to the same account to be allowed to turn this setting back on.

After that, I still wasn't getting or able to send SMS on my laptop (M1-Big Sur).

Then, I found this on an Apple page

"On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding.*"

This let me choose the devices that received SMS texts. Turning it on for my laptop immediately resolved both sending and receiving issues.

Dec 6, 2020 11:01 AM in response to mugnum_parts

I am having the same issue. I just loaded a new MBP 16" from another MBP 16" that was working fine, service loaner purchase long story, I can't tell which MBP is the correct one on my phone for having the green slider on so I have both. Tried turning the sliders off and rebooting my phone then turning them back on and still no luck. If I send a text to android from my computer it says the message failed but it appears on my phone and gets sent bit the replies don't show up on my MBP. Not sure what to try next other than wait for another Big Sur update

Dec 9, 2020 5:49 AM in response to brianfromchelmsford

I have an iPhone 7 running the latest software for it (14.2). My "allow calls on other devices" setting had been changed to off. I tried turning it on for all my devices, but when I went back to the main screen, it was off again! Does this have something to do with my having an old phone? Or is there another solution? I just got a new M1 MacBook Air, which is where I noticed the problem happening (missed notification codes sent to my phone, etc). Other devices include an old iPad 2. If there is one old device in the message network, does that throw everything off?

Jan 21, 2021 8:19 AM in response to knx88

OP here. My Big Sur message syncing seems to have resolved itself, but I do have a weird message issue: a missing reply field with some messagers. This happens consistently with a couple people and intermittently with another. They will text me something, but no reply box appears. I have to manually select a message to them, and then the reply field opens. Why is this?? It's not a huge problem but it is an annoyance, and kind of bizarre.

Jan 28, 2021 2:10 PM in response to mugnum_parts

I hate this because the messages app synced no problem back when the imessages app wasn't an iOS port.

The app also doesn't run anymore on the background unless I open it on launch, I did tried reconnecting my apple account to it and that is the only way it syncs the messages received by the time I logged in there, the sync button doesn't do anything at all.

Messages on Big Sur no longer getting/syncing SMS messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.