Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed Upgrade Big Sur iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

Hello.

I’m trying to install Big Sur, as prompted by my iMac. It downloaded OK, and took me through licence accepting etc.

It then proceeded to a black screen with Apple logo and a progress bar. The progress bar is stuck at about 10%.

The machine is stuck in a loop of restarting, perhaps every 1-2 minutes. The mouse pointer appears top left after a short delay.

It has been like this for 4 hours.

I tried forcing power down with power button, then restarting. No change.

Any thoughts welcome!

Thank you in advance.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 6:22 AM

Thanks to all those who replied. I contacted Apple support. Following many attempted reboots, internet restore, Disk Utilities... sadly we had to reformat the fusion drive, rebuild it (using some Terminal wizardry), and install a fresh copy of Big Sur. I would perhaps recommend anyone else considering Big Sur wait a little while...

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2020 6:22 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks to all those who replied. I contacted Apple support. Following many attempted reboots, internet restore, Disk Utilities... sadly we had to reformat the fusion drive, rebuild it (using some Terminal wizardry), and install a fresh copy of Big Sur. I would perhaps recommend anyone else considering Big Sur wait a little while...

Nov 21, 2020 2:33 PM in response to darthg1nger1977

Sure.

Strange things started happening to the disk and we couldn’t work out why. I haven’t done anything unusual to the computer so this was all down to the BS installer.

We booted into recovery, and tried disk utilities. The disk wasn’t happy - first aid failed. Etc.

Then following another reboot we got the grey question mark icon of death. Really not good.

It turned out the installer had managed to split the fusion drive into two somehow. We followed the instructions here...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207584

That fixed the HD (formatted) and we were able to install BS from

internet recovery.

Hope that helps / is of interest.

Nov 20, 2020 4:27 PM in response to HenryBevan

Hi, I had exactly the same thing but managed to restore via a USB stick installer for Catalina, on which I will stay for a while.

May I ask what was done to the Fusion drive? I erased mine as part of my efforts to save Big Sur but it didn't work, in fact I ended up getting corruption errors when using the Disk Utility, it couldn't re-mount the volumes, and I feared the worst.

Glad you problem was sorted.

Nov 22, 2020 11:32 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I think it’s clear the problem here is big sur, the hdd in my case and Henry’s worked fine otherwise, and perfectly for me. I installed Catalina again and Henry got big sur going, meaning the hdds worked albeit with different treatments. plus the big sur installer behaved exactly the same for us both on the same spec of Mac.

Also big sur is widely reported as problematic.

Failed Upgrade Big Sur iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.