Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I install two Radeon Pro 580x MPX modules in a Mac Pro for better graphic performance?

I have a Mac Pro with two LG 5k displays. I am thinking having two Radeon Pro 580x MPX modules to drive two displays, so the performance might be better. Is it possible to do that?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 8:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 6:32 AM

Save your money, there is no need to do that.

The load on a graphics card to show the data in its RAM on a display uses some hot fast logic, but is not especially taxing, and these cards can already drive up to to SIX 4K displays without slowing down one bit.

The reason some users want more GPU power has to do with the OTHER side of a graphics card, the GPU computation --- when the CPU off-loads 3D drawing, shading, texturing, and similar operations to the substantial parallel numeric capability of a GPU compute engine.

If you are not doing professional cinema production or 3D modeling, there is no need for multiple GPUs. And if you ARE doing those things, you want the card with DUAL, Linked GPUs to get the best GPU compute power from it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2020 6:32 AM in response to yuncong

Save your money, there is no need to do that.

The load on a graphics card to show the data in its RAM on a display uses some hot fast logic, but is not especially taxing, and these cards can already drive up to to SIX 4K displays without slowing down one bit.

The reason some users want more GPU power has to do with the OTHER side of a graphics card, the GPU computation --- when the CPU off-loads 3D drawing, shading, texturing, and similar operations to the substantial parallel numeric capability of a GPU compute engine.

If you are not doing professional cinema production or 3D modeling, there is no need for multiple GPUs. And if you ARE doing those things, you want the card with DUAL, Linked GPUs to get the best GPU compute power from it.

Can I install two Radeon Pro 580x MPX modules in a Mac Pro for better graphic performance?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.