Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loud burst of noise between songs using bluetooth output

I'm playing my music on a 15" MacBook Pro (Catalina v 10.15.7) and just connected to my new Sony STR-HD790 home theater via bluetooth. In between songs I will get a loud quick (< 1sec) burst of noise, sometimes two bursts. This happens every time I am between songs. I have not heard this when connected to bluetooth AfterShokz headphones or through the MacBook Pro internal speakers.

I see this question has been asked before by lukeGT on Feb 22, 2020 where his problem went away after connecting to another device and then back to his macBook pro. I connected my iPhone to the home stereo and all was good. I reconnected my MacBook Pro and I have the same noise burst problem.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 1:27 PM

Resolved. I went to Bluetooth Preferences. Then clicked Advanced. I unclicked all three default options. Then clicked OK.

Seems the issue is between songs Bluetooth is looking for a keyboard, or mouse or trackpad, or trying to wake computer.

Since my MacBook has all three built in—they are not Bluetooth connected, I got the loud noise. Turning off all three solved the loud noise.

now let me get back to busting my playlist loud on my Sony receiver.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2021 1:27 PM in response to jimgr921

Resolved. I went to Bluetooth Preferences. Then clicked Advanced. I unclicked all three default options. Then clicked OK.

Seems the issue is between songs Bluetooth is looking for a keyboard, or mouse or trackpad, or trying to wake computer.

Since my MacBook has all three built in—they are not Bluetooth connected, I got the loud noise. Turning off all three solved the loud noise.

now let me get back to busting my playlist loud on my Sony receiver.

Jan 16, 2021 12:28 AM in response to jimgr921

Agree, have the same problem with my Macbook Air connected to the Denon amplifier. It seems that bursts happen when the track audio data is not yet started to be transferred, but some kind of audio transmission to the Bluetooth device already starts. Probably some preliminary data (non-audio) packages are interpreted by the Bluetooth device as audio data. But it happens with Macbook only, other devices (iPhone, Android, PC laptop) paired with Denon never fail.

Mar 13, 2021 7:19 PM in response to James-jrp

I unchecked all three options (Bluetooth Setup Assistant: keyboard and mouse; and Bluetooth waking the computer) selected OK. I still had the problem. I rebooted my MacBook and tried again and the loud burst is still happening.

This problem is so bad, I can't use MacBook Pro Bluetooth to my home theater system. IPhone Bluetooth to my home theater system is not a problem.

Mar 15, 2021 3:13 PM in response to jimgr921

In Music Preferences->Playback reduce the Crossfade between songs to the minimal setting. (Turn on crossfade if not on).

The problem is related to “dead air” time.

For the most part, I no longer encounter it. But a few songs in a playlist will still cause it sometimes. I suspect those songs have “dead air” time at their beginning. If I adjust the start time of the song I suspect it would not happen. But I haven’t tested this yet. It happens only with a few songs in my playlists now.

Good luck.

Loud burst of noise between songs using bluetooth output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.