Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur - Preview issues when viewing pdf's

After updating to Big Sur, when opening pdf's in multiple panels full screen, the software just keeps switching between pdf's for no reason. Let's say I have two pdf's (pdf 1 and 2) opened in full screen with two panels in the same window; one moment in am scrolling down pdf 1, the second after it just randomly switches to pdf 2 for no reason, and then switches back to pdf 1 and so on.

I found out that after clicking 2-3 three times on the pdf in want to remain to, it doesn't switch (most of the time). But it's really annoying, my workflow is definitely slowed down from the constant switching.

I tried reinstalling Big Sur, didn't change anything. Same old problem. Tried erasing cache, didn't change anything. I don't know what to do (MacBook Air 2017).

Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 11:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 5:52 AM

I tried with safe mode, the issue was still present. Tried switching off and on again, but the issue is still here. The issue does persist with any pdf file, and I'm not using a mouse. I'm just using the trackpad, and I don't think that's the problem since I don't have any problems with scrolling expect for this one.

As I explained in another post, there is another issue with pdf's. Basically, whenever I open them in full screen, apart from the issue I explained here, a black bar come up in the bottom of the screen, the same one that should be present in slide show mode. The problem is that I'm not using slide show mode, but simple full screen.

The two problems might be related to each other. As I said, I even tried reinstalling Big Sur, but nothing changed.

Thanks.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 5:52 AM in response to DanielleM182

I tried with safe mode, the issue was still present. Tried switching off and on again, but the issue is still here. The issue does persist with any pdf file, and I'm not using a mouse. I'm just using the trackpad, and I don't think that's the problem since I don't have any problems with scrolling expect for this one.

As I explained in another post, there is another issue with pdf's. Basically, whenever I open them in full screen, apart from the issue I explained here, a black bar come up in the bottom of the screen, the same one that should be present in slide show mode. The problem is that I'm not using slide show mode, but simple full screen.

The two problems might be related to each other. As I said, I even tried reinstalling Big Sur, but nothing changed.

Thanks.

Nov 25, 2020 7:18 PM in response to Michele8991

Greetings Michele8991!

We see you are having some trouble with PDF files switching between multiple items when scrolling through a PDF. We can absolutely see how that would be confusing and we want to help take a look. To start, try testing this issue in safe mode to see if it is related to any user settings: How to use safe mode on your Mac. Also does this issue occur with all PDF files or just specific ones? Are you using an external mouse or the one that came with your device?

Have a great rest of your day!

Mar 14, 2021 3:48 AM in response to Michele8991

Same here. it happened when i updated my Imac to big sur 11.2.2 (and 11.2.3 haven't fix it).

1. i can't use pdf full-screen anymore: if i open 2 pdf (one full-screen) i can't scroll and use the one on the desktop: after few sec it has effect on the full-screen pdf!!
  2. if i use 2 pdf full-screen preview will jump every 5-10s from one to another; it become unusable
  3. Microsoft word double every page of some files (example: if my docx file had 2 pages, now it has 4)

Dec 2, 2020 6:43 AM in response to Michele8991

I am experiencing the same issues. Indeed, the issue does not seem to be related to any particular PDF. Restarting does not help. Would be great if this could be resolved soon, as Preview is practically unusable in fullscreen like this.

A temporary workaround is to open a new desktop, and open the preview window there. This, however, is far from ideal.

Dec 25, 2020 7:12 AM in response to krislynntasker

I'm having the exact same issue. Since updating to Big Sur (including the most-recent update to Big Sur 11.1), my full-screen pdfs show a set up slideshow buttons at the bottom (track back, play, track forward), and after a few seconds the computer automatically will cycle to my second and third full-screen PDFs when I didn't want it to. I didn't press the play button, hoping that would avoid the problem, but it doesn't. Didn't have this problem prior to Big Sur.

Dec 26, 2020 8:48 AM in response to Michele8991

I also have the exact same issue with my 2015 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro, The problem is so annoying, I regret why i updated to Big Sur. When 11.1 update came out I expected that the problem would be fixed but **** to the Big No. It persists. My work is terrebily affected.

I request Apple to kindly look into this issue and fix it with a quick update.

Feb 1, 2021 8:27 PM in response to Michele8991

I am having the exact issue. Also, after upgrading to Big Sur, my Mac has slowed down considerably, especially when an office 365 app is open in the background. Even switching between desktops is not as smooth anymore.

I need to mention that my Mac book pro is a 16-inch 2019 with processor 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 and memory 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 which means those having the problem do not need to change their Macs! It is definitely not a hardware issue. It is a shame that Apple let this happen to the users :(

Feb 2, 2021 8:41 AM in response to Michele8991

Have same exact same problem. Reported to apple befor 11.1 update-Nothing happened. Reported before 11.2 update yet again nothing happed. I am so frustrated. Im a college student who view pdfs all the time, now i feel like smashing my MacBook against the wall. Apple doesn't give a **** about the issue. In the name of updates they are making old devices more and more unusable. Latest an greatest Big Sur is nothing but a big Hoax to me.

Feb 2, 2021 8:52 AM in response to DanielleM182

Been hunting for solutions for the issue, have exactly the same one. Tried every thing. Reported the issue filed a feedback two times, did every thing to draw some Apple developer's attention before each-what we say the so called greatest-update but no attention to the problem has been laid on. Reported before 11.1 update, 11.1 came out the problem persist. Again reported before 11.2 update yet again noting got fixed. I feel fooled now updating to the latest and greatest Hoax Big Sur. My College work is terribly effected. I feel cheated.

Mar 9, 2021 11:38 AM in response to DanielleM182

Hi DanielleM182

I waited the update of Big Sur for several times, but disappointedly, Apple still doesn't solve the problem until now. It is very inconvenient for someone who need to read papers for a long time in each day. You should tell your engineers this problem! The best description of this problem is from gymate1's video. https://youtu.be/MfkqWFrrhRI

Waiting for Apple solving the problem!

Big Sur - Preview issues when viewing pdf's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.