Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lexmark Filter failed

My Lexmark E360 dn has stopped printing after I upgraded to Big Sur (Mac mini and laptop same issue), raising a "stopped - 'Filter' failed signal... I am disappointed for upgrading. Erasing and readding the printer did not help... Lexmark does not have any drivers available on the issue... heeeelp pls

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 6:52 PM

I had the same issue and I believe it happens when MAC version updates occur. I deleted the printer and then readded it. When you readd select the printer then go to Use: and select Generic Postscript Printer - Add. Voila it works! Hope it does for you also!

14 replies

Dec 29, 2020 5:35 AM in response to John Galt

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Here is what I did. I downloaded the color driver package from Download Color driver package . The mono package is at Download Mono driver package . I deleted my old printer and reset the printing system first. Then I used the Find Any File utility to find all the files with Lexmark in it and trashed all of them and emptied the trash. Some require an admin password to delete. For good measure I rebooted then. At that point I ran the installer that I had downloaded. Then I added the printer. In my case bonjour printer showed up and I selected that and for driver I selected under Use: the Lexmark universal driver. Voila! It printed. All printer options are there.

Feb 6, 2021 5:31 PM in response to MicheJF

This is a joke. I deleted my Lexmark 360d and re-added. Also changed to Generic. This printer worked on my iMac before the update. They want to say Lexmark doesn't care anymore? If it worked before update, Apple should continue to support. Can you imagine if your cable provider did a software update and then told you the update doesn't support your TV but it's your TV manufacturer fault for not keeping up? I'd rather buy a WINDOWS laptop than a new printer. I don't print often but want the availability. Guys, are you involved in a bunch of football pools? I just wanted to print my out my sheets. Turning off automatic updates on Mac. Enjoy the game.

Feb 25, 2021 12:04 PM in response to nategold

I tried these steps and still can't get my MacBook running Big Sur to print to my networked Lexmark MS510. I reset the printing system, deleted all the Lexmark system files, emptied the trash, rebooted, installed the Universal Lexmark mono driver successfully, added the printer using my IP address, Selected the newly installed driver, and I still got the "filter" error. Using the Generic Postscript driver works fine, but I don't have all the printer options. Any other ideas I can try? Do you remember which specific "Lexmark" files you trashed so I can try to make sure I got them all? Thanks!

Apr 5, 2021 8:07 AM in response to DrKyriakos

I currently us a Lexmark x466 and was experiencing the same issue (stopped - filter error) after upgrading my iOS to Big Sur, but I have been able to still AirPrint from my iPhone just fine. So, the issue is definitely a driver issue in regards to printing from a Mac to my Lexmark printer, but I was able to resolve that by re-adding the printer but instead of selecting the downloaded drivers for the Lexmark x466 de I selected the AirPrint drivers and it's been working great since. I've got the printing issue resolved on all of the Mac computer/laptops in my home.

Apr 8, 2021 4:41 AM in response to DrKyriakos

I had the same problem with a Dell 2350dn (which I believe is a rebadged Lexmark, but that's irrelevant).

You need to be Admin, but go into /Library/Printers/Maker where Maker is Dell or whoever.

Then into filter and there's a bunch of files that will be used by the CUPS subsystem.

Then used the xattrib thing to make sure they're all runnable by the OS.

Also (in Dell's case at least) there's a bunch of Perl executables and at the top of every file is #!/usr/bin/perl

Well on my Big Sur install there are 3 versions of Perl (perl5.18, perl5.28 and perl5.30 and perl is linked to perl5.28). The script makes a call USE POSIX and that's been depreciated.

So edit the files and instead of #!/usr/bin/perl replace with #!/usr/bin/perl5.18

and bam the files will run again and the filter failed should not occur.

Steve

Lexmark Filter failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.