Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I initiate a FaceTime call with an iPad, but they can initiate a call with my mac?

My mom just bought an 8th Generation iPad and can call me on FaceTime, but I cannot initiate a call with her. When I click on her contact info, it only allows me the option to message or email her - the call/video options are grayed out. She added my email to her contact list and it is still the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 3:54 PM

2 replies

Nov 26, 2020 8:11 PM in response to bear1912

Hello bear1912,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having trouble initiating a FaceTime call with your mom. It sounds like your mom can call you but you cannot call her. When you select her contact information, you only see the options to message or email her. FaceTime is a great service to stay connected with family and friends. We're happy to help. Can you FaceTime other contacts with no issues? Can you FaceTime your mom from another device, like an iPhone or iPad?

Check out the following support articles:

If FaceTime isn't working on your Mac

Make and receive calls on your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch

Cheers!

Why can't I initiate a FaceTime call with an iPad, but they can initiate a call with my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.