Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HBOMax - Can't Verify Your Subscription

I signed up via AppleTV which works across both of my AppleTVs, but when I try logging into HBOMax via Safari on my iMac I get the following error after choosing AppleTV as my provider. I've tried both with my main iCloud account and my iTunes Store account which appear to authenticate correctly with Apple.

Can’t Verify Your Subscription

It looks like your Apple TV subscription does not include HBO Max. If you believe you have received this message in error, please contact your provider.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm still on my free trial of HBOMax or if something is broken.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 10:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 12:31 PM

So the answer turned out to be that HBOMax used my AppleID login email and generated their own password. I had to do a password reset to get access to HBOMax from my browser. Afterwards I could get into it via Safari and my AppleTV login continued to work.

16 replies

Nov 26, 2020 2:47 PM in response to vazandrew

I used the app on my AppleTV to subscribe which doesn't give you credentials to use for the website from my Mac. When I used my Mac, there's an option to sign in with your TV provider and one of them is AppleTV. I can get through the login with my iTunes and iCloud credentials but when it redirects back from Apple to HBO, I get the "Can't Verify Your Subscription" error.

Nov 26, 2020 3:02 PM in response to willywonka98

You would have used the HBO app on Apple TV, which would then link to your Apple ID for billing and also login. You would only use a TV provider for the web login if you had access through your TV subscription (either standard cable or live streaming service) and that would not apply here.

To sum up, do a standard login (not TV provider) and if your Apple ID credentials don't work then you would need to contact HBO for assistance.

Dec 22, 2020 12:33 AM in response to vazandrew

I've been having this same issue too. I've been in touch with HBO support and it is supposed to work. My problem started when HBO Now turned into HBO Max. I was able to login through a web browser on my Mac and watch HBO Now with my tvOS/iOS credentials. But it stopped working after the changeover. HBO is stumped. I think it's a database problem screwing up authentication outside of the tvOS/iOS apps. I suspect the fix is to let the subscription lapse so the database resets or updates. It's been broken for 6 months now. I just tried it again after giving up in July. Still no go. Very frustrating.

Dec 29, 2020 10:38 AM in response to Fesatom

That would only apply if you subscribed to an Apple TV channel as it only offers access via Apple’s TV app. HBO does not offer that ability, as that support was dropped when they introduced their Max service. So you would simply be subscribing to HBO directly and choosing to bill through your Apple ID, if there was an issue logging in then it would be due to something on HBO’s end.

Dec 29, 2020 4:54 PM in response to willywonka98

This totally worked! HBO is really screwing the pooch here. They either need to remove the Login with TV provider for AppleTV based HBO Max subscriptions from their browser login or fix it! So for all of you looking for the fix, @willywonka98 is correct. I'm now able to log into HBO Max on a desktop computer. Big thanks to you, Mr. Wonka. I've been trying to figure this out for 6 months, at least.

Jan 7, 2021 6:12 AM in response to Weenaumet

HBOMax - they created an account using your AppleID email and (hopefully) a random password.

I still think something is fishy with the "Sign In Through TV or Mobile Provider". I can't figure out why AppleTV would be in the list if not for this exact scenario (i.e., letting Apple verify the login and confirming authorization on the backend between Apple & HBO since Apple sold the subscription - just like a cable company).

HBOMax - Can't Verify Your Subscription

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.