Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.wav music files losing meta data (artist, album, etc) when added to itunes library

Hi,

I have thousands of albums recorded. However, when I try to import them into iTunes, the .wav files lose there meta data (artist, album, etc). Is there a work around? - I don't want to go to each track and album and individually add the data. Is there an easy way to convert multiple sound files to a format that iTunes can cope with the meta data?

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 10:39 AM

WAV files do not support embedded metadata - I would guess that you're seeing them in another application that adds metadata (in separate files or in a common database) without including it in the audio files. Conversion to either AIFF or ALAC will preserve audio quality (both are "lossless" codecs) but will allow all iTunes-valid metadata to be stored and managed. AIFF and ALAC are functionally very similar though the latter does use lossless compression so file sizes will be somewhat smaller.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2020 10:39 AM in response to Godot007

WAV files do not support embedded metadata - I would guess that you're seeing them in another application that adds metadata (in separate files or in a common database) without including it in the audio files. Conversion to either AIFF or ALAC will preserve audio quality (both are "lossless" codecs) but will allow all iTunes-valid metadata to be stored and managed. AIFF and ALAC are functionally very similar though the latter does use lossless compression so file sizes will be somewhat smaller.

Nov 20, 2020 10:46 AM in response to Godot007

You cannot lose what you don't have. Files in .wav format don't have any embedded metadata. If you have tracks in a working library convert them to Apple Lossless. If you have them in standard artist and album folders add them to iTunes in a way that doesn't cause iTunes to move/rename them or make copies (i.e. turn off the Keep... and Copy... options, at least temporarily) then use a script called TagFromFilename to apply the track number, name, album, and artist from the file path.

tt2

.wav music files losing meta data (artist, album, etc) when added to itunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.