Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Proxy and Original Media in one timeline, the constant switch...

hey all,

so let's say you are editing some heavy h264 footage which came out of a stabilization software called Reelsteady and in the same timeline you have some Sony XAVC footage which doesn't need proxying since it scrubs and edits just fine. The Reelsteady clips have been proxied as otherwise it is too painful to edit.

Of course now i have to switch the viewer back and forth from the Check at "proxy media" and "original/optimized media" since there is no setting to view both. Am I missing something? Why can't I just see the footage which has been proxied as proxy and the clips that haven't in their normal form?

Surely I can't be the first to want this :). Thanks for your feedback and help!

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 11:07 AM

What OS and FCP version is this? You need to update to a recent version. There is a viewer preference called proxy preferred for just this situation.

Follow up question, why is your H.264 painful play? Most computers don't have any problem with H.264, in fact that's the codec that can now be used for proxies.

11 replies

Nov 26, 2020 3:29 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

thanks for your reply. fcpx 10.4.8 Will have to look at updating once any current projects are through. MacOS Mojave 10.14.6.

h.264 is normally a breeze, but these files that ReelSteady creates just choke up my machine, I don't understand why. I assumed they were h265 and my Skylake CPU doesn't natively do h.265, but they aren't they are 264. No idea.

Nov 26, 2020 9:52 AM in response to Elhungarian

There is something odd about this media. It's sluggish to perform in some instances in the timeline. If the timeline is playing and I click somewhere else in the timeline the playhead will leap there and continue playback. I tried different projects, 6K RED media in a 1080 timeline, 4K HEVC media, 4K ProResRAW, and they were all immediately responsive. The GoPro media, I click, I wait, and then playback starts. That's unusual, also the encoding information is different from what I've seen in other MPEG-4 files.

Proxy and Original Media in one timeline, the constant switch...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.