Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will macos, iOs and iPadOs support the Canon CR3 Raw format e.g. used by Canon EOS R6?

I recently bought a Canon EOS R6 and of course want to use the CR3 Raw format of the files. But neither macos Big Sur Version 11.0.1 nor iPados nor ios support this file format natively. The same raw file format is used by other cameras from Canon like the M6 for a long time. There are a lot of questions about that problem in a lot of other forums and even here. The answer is always to use a third party software e.g. Adobe Lightroom. I think it is embarrassing, that a third party software is faster over such a long time in supporting a broadly used file format. So, when?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 2:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 5:20 AM

Hi

No-one here knows, and Apple isn't saying.

Apple is not quick to update for new cameras. Worse, they don't communicate any sort of roadmap or timeline. It is not even possible to say if they will support a particular camera.

Your only options are:

* to wait - and if you like convert your raw files to adobe's DNG raw format using their free converter, which you should then be able to use in photos.

* Or... use software which does support your camera.

Sorry I can't provide more positive information.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2020 5:20 AM in response to tomsteg

Hi

No-one here knows, and Apple isn't saying.

Apple is not quick to update for new cameras. Worse, they don't communicate any sort of roadmap or timeline. It is not even possible to say if they will support a particular camera.

Your only options are:

* to wait - and if you like convert your raw files to adobe's DNG raw format using their free converter, which you should then be able to use in photos.

* Or... use software which does support your camera.

Sorry I can't provide more positive information.

Nov 21, 2020 8:27 AM in response to tomsteg

" I think it is embarrassing, that a third party software is faster over such a long time in supporting a broadly used file format"

Those third parties make their bread and butter from supporting cameras. *Not* supporting a camera can directly affect the bottom line. Note that there is a lot more to camera support than just reading the file format, that is the easy part. The hard part is camera characterization.

When will macos, iOs and iPadOs support the Canon CR3 Raw format e.g. used by Canon EOS R6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.