Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon Raw Files with Big Sur and Preview

I am using a Canon R6 with Big Sur 11.2.1 but Preview still doesn't show CR3 RAW Files. Officially they should be supported now.

Any Idea?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 2:33 AM

The R6 was not listed in the system report and Preview didn't open .cr3.

Now I installed the new 11.2.2 update and it works. The R6 is now listed in my system report and preview can open the .cr3 files.

Also Preview in Finder (pressing space) works for single, but not multiple files.

5 replies

Feb 26, 2021 1:42 AM in response to 75BraVo

Works for me and R5 and R6 are listed in System report's raw support and it works for QuickLook and 3rd party apps like GraphicConverter (also LibRaw should now support R5 and R6). Some people in AFAIR Photos forum have had similar weird trouble (R5 and R6 were listed but QuickLook did not open them) but in the end the raw support was somehow updated.

Feb 26, 2021 3:07 AM in response to 75BraVo

Quick Look (spacebar) works on. a single image from the Finder. Use the arrow keys to advance to the next image. Preview has a View menu > Contact Sheet option that allows one to open several selected, or a folder of images and view them as if on a light table.

There were issues in macOS 11.2.1 where the R6 was shown to be supported by Apple's camera RAW, but some of us could view R6 RAW images, and others could not. Still don't know why, and hope macOS 11.2.2 resolves that issue.

Canon Raw Files with Big Sur and Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.