Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't view CR3 RAW files from Canon R6 in Finder

My mac is up to date as of this morning and I still can't see previews for the CR3 RAW files in the Finder of my MacBook.

I don't really want to use a third party app, suggestions?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 11:41 AM

When was the Canon EOS R6 released is it a new camera to the market if so it may not be

supported in macOS Catalina, here is the last list of supported cameras.

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 13, iPadOS 13 and macOS Catalina – Apple Support

There is an issue in Catalina where it does not render icon previews for RAW files,

this has not been addressed in the latest update.

Not much you can do.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

I would use Adobes DNG Converter.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2020 11:41 AM in response to mikelaidis

When was the Canon EOS R6 released is it a new camera to the market if so it may not be

supported in macOS Catalina, here is the last list of supported cameras.

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 13, iPadOS 13 and macOS Catalina – Apple Support

There is an issue in Catalina where it does not render icon previews for RAW files,

this has not been addressed in the latest update.

Not much you can do.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

I would use Adobes DNG Converter.

Sep 29, 2020 11:46 AM in response to mikelaidis

This camera was suggested to have a August 27 2020 release date, how could it possibly be in any Apple camera raw update, or even Adobe DNG converter release yet? The .jpg images from this camera are viewable in Catalina 10.15.7 Finder, but not the .CR3 raw images.

If/when it becomes available, look for it eventually in one of the macOS 11.x (Big Sur) updates either this Fall or in 2021. Only Apple and Canon know when this camera will be supported in a future operating system update. It will not be supported in Catalina as Apple does not make camera raw support for older operating systems.

Oct 13, 2020 3:13 PM in response to mikelaidis

Same issue here. I'm loving my Canon R6, but Photos isn't able to open or edit the CR3 files. The workaround for now is to take both CR3 and jpeg files, download the jpeg and if I really like it go back and open the CR3 file with Photoshop, do my editing there and export into a format that Photos recognizes and then import that into Photos. Not ideal. I hope Apple provides an update soon.

Can't view CR3 RAW files from Canon R6 in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.