Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notification center hangs in macOS Big Sur

After I installed macOS Big Sur on my MacBook the all-new Notification Center started to hang often. It just doesn't open (either by using the Touchpad or by clicking on the clock in the menu bar) and consumes 100% CPU in the Activity Monitor. The only way I can get it fixed and opened again is by terminating the process called Notification Centre :

After that it restarts automatically and starts to work normally again. I noticed that it happens also when I try to click on the Clear all button at top right corner of a notification group. Looks like a critical bug to me and seems impossible that Apple missed it during testing (but it seems they really did). Does anyone else have the same problem? If it happens only for me then I want to understand the reason behind it (obviously it's associated with configuration).

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 9:00 AM

Same here. There's a small thread on reddit on the topic https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/jtnclh/notification_centre_keeps_freezing/. A reinstall of the Big Sur didn't fix it, nor did the safe mode boot... For me it freezes typically while expanding a stack of notifications.

27 replies

Jan 20, 2021 12:58 PM in response to ggarnhart

Hello, for what it's worth. I also use Magnet and Bartender 4 and have talked to the dev teams for those apps and they recommended disabling Screen Time from widgets and that seems to have worked for me. After evaluating the Activity Monitor log, getting stuck drawing a graph. I have been running both Magnet and Bartender 4 for a week now with no issues. Hope that helps.

Nov 22, 2020 8:09 AM in response to dobby007

dobby007 wrote:

After I installed macOS Big Sur on my MacBook the all-new Notification Center started to hang often. It just doesn't open (either by using the Touchpad or by clicking on the clock in the menu bar) and consumes 100% CPU in the Activity Monitor. The only way I can get it fixed and opened again is by terminating the process called Notification Centre :
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/bfe1ab9e-d4f5-4cf4-b3ba-accc6cfa941d

After that it restarts automatically and starts to work normally again. I noticed that it happens also when I try to click on the Clear all button at top right corner of a notification group. Looks like a critical bug to me and seems impossible that Apple missed it during testing (but it seems they really did). Does anyone else have the same problem? If it happens only for me then I want to understand the reason behind it (obviously it's associated with configuration).

Rebooting several times after a major upgrade can sort issues.

You can force quit from there—

or from the Terminal.app copy and paste:

killall NotificationCenter

You can reboot into SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test. Reboot as normal and test as caches get rebuilt.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

and test.

If your issue continues reinstall the macOS on top of your current macOS to sort anomalies like yours

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Jan 20, 2021 7:40 AM in response to dobby007

Similar to those who have had issues with window-resizing apps, I have found that Magnet was causing problems for me. I've found that quitting the app and running the terminal command:

killall NotificationCenter

causes the notification center to work properly. Historically, if I open Magnet again, the problem starts within 20-120 minutes, but if I do not use the app then no problems with Notification Center occurred.

Jan 20, 2021 10:26 PM in response to dobby007

Well, based on the discussions it definitely has something to do with Big Sur itself and not specific widgets. I made a couple of experiments and almost thought that I found the culprit. I have a widget called Quick Calendar and I was almost sure that removing this widget was the fix to my problem (as I wasn't seeing it for a while) but then magically the issue stopped occurring for me even with this widget enabled. As for now I haven't seen this bug since like the beginning of December. All I did was removing and adding this widget several times so really I don't know what has happened...

Jan 25, 2021 11:19 PM in response to dobby007

dobby007 wrote:

Well, based on the discussions it definitely has something to do with Big Sur itself and not specific widgets. I made a couple of experiments and almost thought that I found the culprit. I have a widget called Quick Calendar and I was almost sure that removing this widget was the fix to my problem (as I wasn't seeing it for a while) but then magically the issue stopped occurring for me even with this widget enabled. As for now I haven't seen this bug since like the beginning of December. All I did was removing and adding this widget several times so really I don't know what has happened...

And most importantly... I don't use Bartender. Screen Time widget is enabled and added to the Notification Center. Even now it works for me without any problems. Seems like a Schrödinger's bug :xD:

Feb 19, 2021 1:36 AM in response to dobby007

It happens when I clicked on a grouped notifications. Even it is a safari notification, it will freeze the notification center. It works till half of the day after restarting the MacOS. It is pretty the same timing with I start having lagging issues when I'm switching between desktops.

Edit: It is fixed when I removed the Screen Time widget. The issue gets back immediately when I add the screen time widget.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 (20D74)

Mar 16, 2021 4:51 AM in response to n3bulous

Seeing the same issue high CPU in NotificationCenter often after bringing up list of notifications. Related symptom is panic shutting down if this is occurring.

I followed your advice as a circumvention and so far no recurrence. I don't need most notifications but I need a stable system.

I turned off everything except FaceTime, Family (OSX), Reminders, Safari, SmartCard Pairing in Notification Center Settings.

MBP Intel 16 running latest Big Sur 11.2.3

Notification center hangs in macOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.