Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro M1 2020 Printer Problems

I have two printers. A Canon Pixma Pro 9000MK2 photo printer and an HP Laserjet P1102W.

Neither of these printer will work with my new MacBook. I have tried every combination of USB cables, hubs, adaptors to run through the USB C ports on the new MacBook. The machine recognises the printers on adding in Printer preferences but goes into fault when I send a document either printer. I have removed and added multiple times and reset the printer system all to no avail.

Is anyone else having issues the same as these. These printers worked faultlessly on My MacBook Air 2014 running Catalina. Is the issue Big Sur I don't know what to do next.

Can anyone help. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, 11.0

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 11:10 AM

For the HP printer try installing the drivers posted by Apple last Friday: HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS Dec 11, 2020

For the Epson printer see if the Epson site has a driver for Big Sur for download.

Similar questions

77 replies

Nov 28, 2020 4:37 PM in response to bacteria

bacteria wrote:

Will Apple produce a driver on their AirPrint system again time will tell. I have two enquiries registered with Apple Support.

Apple does not produce printer drivers, they pass through drivers supplied by printer manufacturers. AirPrint is a standard protocol that printer manufacturers can develop to and doesn't require drivers to operate; printing via USB can be different.

Unfortunately if Canon decided not to support their printers on newer Apple hardware or on a new version of macOS, there is nothing Apple can do about that and it's a shame Canon decided to abandon their customers.

Please keep that in mind when selecting a printer in the future.

In the meantime, please let Apple support know of this issue directly.

For USB to fail in this manner when printing to multiple brands of printers, it sounds either like a bug in Rosetta 2 when handling Intel printer drivers that use USB or a general issue in the M1 USB code, and the more reports they receive the more likely it is that engineering will look into the issue.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Dec 21, 2020 4:10 AM in response to chuckramsey40

chuckramsey40 wrote:

I have the new apple mini Mac m1 and my Label Printer Pro 7 will not let me type in names on labels.

Label Printer Pro 7 is third-party software.

I suggest you contact its developer and ask them about Big Sur compatibility:

https://www.payplaysoftware.com/support.html

Note they have not made a compatibility release since releasing version 7.37 for macOS Mojave compatibility in November, 2018:

Mac App Store: Label Printer Pro 7

Jan 10, 2021 3:07 PM in response to jaybird46

Hi,

As you probably have discovered, the Samsung Xpress SL-M2020 Laser Printer series does not appear to have drivers for anything higher than macOS Catalina 10.15 (https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/Samsung-Xpress-SL-M2020-Laser-Printer-series/16462592).

An SL-M2020W is also mentioned in the article https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06520117. If absolutely necessary, and since a driver compatible with macOS Catalina 10.15 would be 64-bit, a pure experiment could possibly be to reset the printing system (Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support) and check whether a fresh Samsung universal printer driver V3.92.00 for macOS Catalina 10.15 (https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/SS/Print_Common_SW/Samsung_Mac_10.15_Driver_V3.92.00.dmg) can be used. However, anything like that would be a test only, and I cannot recommend it. Do not expect it to work with Big Sur. It may not even install. If you try it anyway, you must know exactly what you are doing. Otherwise, it is probably better to wait for Big Sur drivers (if any) from HP for this printer.

I do not know to what extent the procedure in the link provided by swiss-mike above would be applicable in connection with a printer driver installation like this.

Jan 12, 2021 4:35 PM in response to P_Las

Hello,

A Canon MF247dw is mentioned in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a printer supporting the driverless AirPrint technology.

AirPrint means that it can be used without a separate driver. Drivers/software from the printer manufacturer may or may not add functionality.

How is the printer connected (Wi-Fi, Ethernet, or USB)?

Has the printer been added as an AirPrint printer, or are you using drivers from Canon? If the latter, please note that there are relatively new downloads.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/black-and-white-laser/imageclass-mf247dw/imageclass-mf247dw

Also, check that you have the latest firmware.

If necessary, try to reset the printing system and re-add the printer.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

Apr 13, 2021 1:37 PM in response to jonesk54

Hello,

The Brother MFC-J4510DW and HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479fdw models are both mentioned in the article About AirPrint - Apple Support as printers supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. This means that these models should be compatible with macOS without the need for special drivers (when a network connection is used). Software from the printer manufacturers may or may not add functionality.

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

May 9, 2021 9:42 PM in response to bacteria

Hi, I have a Macbook Pro M1 with an HP Ink Tank 310 (USB printer). I solved this problem by these steps:

1. System Preference
  2. Printers and Scanners
  3. Add printer (connected by USB) (the + sign)
  4. Choose the printer

-Choose your printer

-Click Use

-Choose Select Software (I think this is the most important part of choosing the Kind of printer. I chose the Generic PCL Printer before and it did not work.)

-I didn't found my printer type but I choose something similar and it worked. I didn't even install any HP drivers.

Hope this helps

Nov 24, 2020 8:12 AM in response to bacteria

I have since spoken to Canon in some detail about this issue. It's really very simple. Canon have not and will not produce any drivers for Big Sur 11.0.1 for the printer I have, they have said to me the list of printers that require new drivers is almost endless and they will no longer support them. They have agreed to escalate a complaint I have registered time will tell !!! I am guessing HP are at the same game - ie dump your printer and buy a flashy new one. No I don't think so.

Will Apple produce a driver on their AirPrint system again time will tell. I have two enquiries registered with Apple Support.

Nov 30, 2020 7:22 PM in response to bacteria

Hi Everyone,

My Mac mini M1 connected to a USB Canon IP4950 printer does not load the driver also!

BUT I found a temporary solution - in my case a QNAP NAS! Connect the USB printer to the NAS,

allow USB printing in Control Panel (of the NAS) and it loads the relevant driver.

Back to the Mac, print and select what is the IP4950 printer with (AirPrint) beside the name.

I realise not everyone has a NAS but in case you do, this worked for me beautifully!

Cheers,

Roberto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.