Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monitor won't boot with Mac mini/eGPU

I've recently gotten a Mac mini (2018), with an external graphics card (Radeon RX 5700 XT). The monitor, a HP VH240a, is plugged into the graphics card enclosure (Razer Core X Aluminum External GPU), which is then plugged into the Mac mini. The Mac is running Catalina version 10.15.7.

What works … most/some of the time … is to turn on the Mac mini, wait for a few seconds, then turn on the external graphics card (the monitor starts on its own when the eGPU is turned on). But with annoying regularity, although the Mac, the eGPU, and the monitor are all clearly powered up, the monitor does not recognize that the Mac is running, and puts itself to sleep. Without the monitor, of course, I can't even sign in or affect anything at all, even to shut the Mac off properly,

Could someone tell me how to fix this problem?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 9:55 PM

Connect the VH240a to the mini’s HDMI port.

Similar questions

1 reply

Monitor won't boot with Mac mini/eGPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.