Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphotos sharing between family

Hello,

I currently pay for Google one to use Google Photos for all of our photos with my wife and I as well as our documents in Google Drive.

We just bought a Mac, both have iPhones, and I have an iPad. Now with the mac I kind of feel like we should jump into the Apple world and get Apple One so we get all Apple services for the seamless integration....

My question is we both upload photos from our phones to one shared library on Google Photos which is perfect. We have three kids so we are both always snapping photos and would prefer to be able to see each others photos plus each others albums.

Can we do that in Apple Photos? Can we share the entire library? I understand there is a default Family shared album, can we default all photos to upload to that? And can we subdivide it into albums as well?

Thanks in advance for the responses!

iMac, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 3:46 PM

The answer to all of your questions is essentially "No." iCloud Photos is strongly oriented toward a single user per library, with limited sharing capabilities. So is the Photos application on both Macs and iOS devices.

You cannot share an iCloud Photos library unless you share a common Apple ID, which is hardly ever a good idea. You can do limited sharing of an offline Photos library on an external disk attached to a single computer if you make certain that only one of you is logged into that computer at a time and take certain other precautions.

There is one default shared album created for the family plan. You cannot subdivide it. You can create a number of shared albums, but each is separate. Each shared library has a size limit.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2020 3:46 PM in response to Ivanjay205

The answer to all of your questions is essentially "No." iCloud Photos is strongly oriented toward a single user per library, with limited sharing capabilities. So is the Photos application on both Macs and iOS devices.

You cannot share an iCloud Photos library unless you share a common Apple ID, which is hardly ever a good idea. You can do limited sharing of an offline Photos library on an external disk attached to a single computer if you make certain that only one of you is logged into that computer at a time and take certain other precautions.

There is one default shared album created for the family plan. You cannot subdivide it. You can create a number of shared albums, but each is separate. Each shared library has a size limit.

Nov 26, 2020 3:46 AM in response to markwmsn

Thanks, I am just going to stick with Google Photos in that case. It is a shame but that just does not seem like a workable solution with a family with kids who snaps photos all the time and has nothing they are looking to not allow to be seen from each other. I understand the privacy but it really should be an option to better utilize it as a family service.

Iphotos sharing between family

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.