Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screensaver Lockout MacBook Air (M1)

I just purchased the baseline M1 MacBook Air and I’m having trouble with the screensaver taking over the computer. It will come on even while using the device and then there’s no way to dismiss the screensaver. I have to switch users, log out, and/or restart the machine to get the screensaver to go away. At this point I’ve disabled the screensaver (which for me is fine) but I’m hoping there’s a fix out there somewhere.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 11:33 AM

Hey Apple - we have a problem on your new M1 Airbook! Please acknowledge and fix it - I reinstalled the MacOS per Apple Support on Sunday. Today the issue reappeared despite the screensaver being turned to 'Never"

140 replies

Dec 3, 2020 11:48 AM in response to pelthree

I have also appeared to have this issue - every now and again my new MacBook Air (M1 chip) with Big Sur 11.0.1 goes to the screen saver and clicking the trackpad doesn't resolve the issue. Instead I have to press the Power/Touch ID button which takes me to the sign in screen. I then have to Switch User and then go back in and enter my Password and it then goes back to normal without the screen saver although sometimes I've had to do this multiple times in order for the screen saver to go away. Hopefully it'll be fixed in the next update but I've reported the bug to Apple.

Dec 31, 2020 4:25 PM in response to pelthree

Third paragraph of this post fixed it for me:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252083925?answerId=254205721022#254205721022

"Configure the screen saver to not be displayed on the login window, which will also prevent the screen saver from starting 20 minutes after clicking on Login Window… or Switch User. This can be done by logging in as an admin user and entering the following command into Terminal: sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver loginWindowIdleTime 0​ When the Password: prompt appears, type the password of the user that is currently logged in and press Return (the password being typed at this prompt will not be displayed)."

Jan 23, 2021 4:53 AM in response to Avpatel18

Feedback for mini m1, 16 gb

I can tell this did not work for me on my mini m1. I am currently NOT logged in with two users at same time, suggestions security screensaver off done, with all users (i have 3 on my mini). And suddenly: screensaver pops up., just a few minutes before again.

The only thing that works on my mini m1 when screensaver suddenly starts i can't do anything to stop it as described (and don't wan to force shutdown via power button) is:

• press cmd + ctrl + q
  • at login screen, NOT entering password for this account didn't help, just screensaver comes back
  • press esc and then mouse click, then enter password for account
  • and i'm back and can use my mac again

it's a bad error for a great product and os, and what i see it relates to if you have more than one account on the mac, and starts to begin as soon as i login with another account. i also reported this to apple with the support as suggested here. it did not occur here, when i did not use any of the two other accounts during a day.

what i read in newsgroups that 11.2 should fix this and comes very soon (if i am correct release candidate came out these days?!).

looking forward that this then is fixed and my m1 can be used withou this bug. i really like my mini m1, the best mac i have so far!

Screensaver Lockout MacBook Air (M1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.