Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Guest user visible even when turned off (Big Sur)

The problem is that the guest user login is visible in the fast user switching menu, but the guest user is turned off.

I am using a MacBook with m1 2020.

I think it is a Mac OS Big Sur problem but I don't have it with my intel MacBook.

Maybe someone can help.

It is not a huge problem but its not visible on my other mac's

O yes this happend after updating Mac OS Big Sur from 11.0.0 to 11.0.1

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 11:47 AM

4 replies

Nov 23, 2020 11:56 AM in response to PvdHeuvel

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and turn off the Guest user in the System preferences. If turned off already toggle it on and off. Then reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Nov 23, 2020 1:02 PM in response to Old Toad

I have booted into safe mode and toggled the guest user on and of and turned fast user switch menu on and off.

-Startup disk is good

-I only loaded kernel extension and disabled/delete other extensions

-There are no other startup items

-No user Fons installed

-Delete all the caches and even used parallels to clean other caches.

I have booted into normal and safe mode if to see that there is anything different happening.

Also created a new admin user account.

This is a fresh Mac OS Big Sur install from 11.0.0 i only updated it to 11.0.1

Jan 28, 2021 4:57 PM in response to PvdHeuvel

This problem is still present in macOS 11.1. I have a mid-2015 Intel MBP (FileVault is turned on).  This issue really isn't solved.

@PvdHeuvel, if you tried to fast switch to the Guest User, did it prompt you for a password? This is an especially odd behavior since the Guest User isn't password protected. This password prompt happens regardless if I enable or disable the Guest User account under Users & Groups.

@oldtoad I tried your suggestion with no success. 

Guest user visible even when turned off (Big Sur)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.