Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple USB keyboard not working properly

My keyboard is one of these:

but the Keyboard viewer looks like this:

I think this is an old issue that has never been fixed

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250729737

Anyone have any answers or information ?

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 6:50 AM

From your first post, I had the impression that your problem was that the Keyboard Viewer did not show all of your keyboard.

Perhaps I have misunderstood. Is your problem that this keyboard does not work at all, or that it works only for the letters but not for the number pad? Or that keys do not produce the expected output chraracters?

The only reason to try changing the keyboard type is if you have certain specific kinds of mismatching between what is printed on the keys and what appears on the screen.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2020 6:50 AM in response to Dan White

From your first post, I had the impression that your problem was that the Keyboard Viewer did not show all of your keyboard.

Perhaps I have misunderstood. Is your problem that this keyboard does not work at all, or that it works only for the letters but not for the number pad? Or that keys do not produce the expected output chraracters?

The only reason to try changing the keyboard type is if you have certain specific kinds of mismatching between what is printed on the keys and what appears on the screen.

Nov 24, 2020 6:09 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

That helps some, but perhaps I did not present the problem properly.

Let's try this: On my MacBook, I open up

System Preferences::Keyboard and select "Change Keyboard Type"

This follows, and I select "Continue"

On the Apple USB Extended Keyboard, the key immediately to the right of there left-hand shift key is the "Z"

This is what I get when I press "Z"

Selecting "OK" is a dead end.

Selecting "Skip" presents

this screen, from which I selected "ANSI" because the other choices are not what I have.

Then I selected "Done"

So, that is the problem, in detail.

Is this expected behavior for the old, reliable Apple USB Aluminum Keyboard ?

Should I even be trying to change the keyboard type when I use this on my MacBook ?

Apple USB keyboard not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.