Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When deleting email, it permanently vanishes and does *not* go into the trash folder.

MacOS: Big Sur 11.0.1

Device: 13" early 2015 MacBook Pro.

Mail version: 14.0 (3654.20.0.2.21)

Mail server: earthlink.net

Everything was working fine until I installed the new Big Sur OS (i.e. things worked like they were supposed to). Now, when I delete an email, it permanently vanishes, and does not go into the Trash folder.

Under Mail-Preferences-Accounts-Earthlink-Mailbox Behaviors, the "Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox" is checked. Unchecking, restarting and rechecking makes no difference.

Additionally, the Junk filter function is working, and junk mail is showing up in the junk folder-- but when deleted, it vanishes as well without making a stop in the Trash folder.

Any suggestions? I've accidentally deleted a few emails that I needed, which is how I found the issue. As far as the MacBook is concerned, they're gone, gone, gone.

TIA

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 3:46 PM

flybigjet wrote:

Everything was working fine until I installed the new Big Sur OS (i.e. things worked like they were supposed to). Now, when I delete an email, it permanently vanishes, and does not go into the Trash folder.

Under Mail-Preferences-Accounts-Earthlink-Mailbox Behaviors, the "Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox" is checked. Unchecking, restarting and rechecking makes no difference.

Additionally, the Junk filter function is working, and junk mail is showing up in the junk folder-- but when deleted, it vanishes as well without making a stop in the Trash folder.

Any suggestions? I've accidentally deleted a few emails that I needed, which is how I found the issue. As far as the MacBook is concerned, they're gone, gone, gone.

Make some change to your preferences to suit you better...

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2020 3:46 PM in response to flybigjet

flybigjet wrote:

Make some change to your preferences to suit you better...

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

When deleting email, it permanently vanishes and does *not* go into the trash folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.