Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to use time capsule as backup only

I have previously used my time capsule for Wifi and backup. I changed to a mesh system and had to remove the time machine to avoid conflicts. How do I change settings in time machine so I can continue to use as a backup but not as a Wifi router?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 4:12 PM

How do I change settings in time machine so I can continue to use as a backup but not as a Wifi router?

Just reset the target to new location of the TC.

But I think you meant what you need to change in the Time Capsule to make it work as Time Machine backup only?

Simple.. reset it to factory .. no files are lost doing this.

Reconfigure it with WAN port plugged permanently by ethernet to main router. (or node nearest the Mac/s if that is viable).

The TC will go into bridge mode.. once you complete the configuration turn wifi off.

Once that is completed.. and the TC is showing in Airport utility with no errors.. mount the TC hard disk in Finder.. that helps Time Machine to find the drive on the network.

In Time machine use Add and Remove disks.. add the TC and supply the password.. also if asked do you wish to continue backups to the old location say NO.. then TM should begin a count down to first backup.. what will happen is a check of the existing backup and if all is well, it will continue to use existing backup.

There are a few more settings that help but give this a go and see if you can get it to start backing up.

Edit.. Bob is quick off the mark.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2020 4:12 PM in response to reiki

How do I change settings in time machine so I can continue to use as a backup but not as a Wifi router?

Just reset the target to new location of the TC.

But I think you meant what you need to change in the Time Capsule to make it work as Time Machine backup only?

Simple.. reset it to factory .. no files are lost doing this.

Reconfigure it with WAN port plugged permanently by ethernet to main router. (or node nearest the Mac/s if that is viable).

The TC will go into bridge mode.. once you complete the configuration turn wifi off.

Once that is completed.. and the TC is showing in Airport utility with no errors.. mount the TC hard disk in Finder.. that helps Time Machine to find the drive on the network.

In Time machine use Add and Remove disks.. add the TC and supply the password.. also if asked do you wish to continue backups to the old location say NO.. then TM should begin a count down to first backup.. what will happen is a check of the existing backup and if all is well, it will continue to use existing backup.

There are a few more settings that help but give this a go and see if you can get it to start backing up.

Edit.. Bob is quick off the mark.

Nov 25, 2020 11:27 AM in response to reiki

It wanted to create a network, even if I ask to add to existing network.

That is fine.. you cannot add it to non-apple wireless network.

So now I have two wifi networks and I can't find a way to turn off the new wifi network in the capsule.

Go to the airport utility and click the icon of the TC.. click edit on the summary.. go to the wireless tab. Select off.

Just to make sure everything is correct.. you have the WAN port of the TC plugged by ethernet to the main router..

Go to the Network tab and make sure it is set to bridge.

And since we are here we may as well fix up a loose end or two.

Go to the Internet tab.. and switch it to static. The current IP will then change to permanent.. Just fill in the DNS which will be empty with 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 which are general public DNS.. it is just to get it to be happy.

Finally go to the Internet Options down the bottom of the screenshot above.

Select IPv6 Link-Local Only.

Then save that.. and click update from the main tab bottom right corner.

I am assuming your computer is NOT directly connected to the TC but rather via the mesh system.

And in Finder, it shows up in "Shared" but not connected.

Correct.. click on Connect As on the top right in Finder. I am on a rather old OS so yours will look different.

Put in your TC password.

If you have issues use top menu.. GO.. Connect to Server.

Type in the IP you just set. Thusly

You will get a similar box to the one above to type in your password (TC access password) and save it in the keychain.

Nov 23, 2020 4:10 PM in response to reiki

Unfortunately, your post is mixing up the Time Capsule and Time Machine, an easy thing to do.

A Time Capsule is hardware.......a WiFi router with a built in hard drive that can be used to store backups from your Mac.

Time Machine is software......an application on your Mac that is used to back up the data on the Mac to another hard drive, like a Time Capsule.

I think you might be really asking how/if you can use the Time Capsule on your mesh WiFi system to back up your Mac(s) using the Time Machine back up application on your Mac. Would that be correct?

If yes, we need to first find out.....if.....you will be able to use the Time Capsule with your mesh system.

What is the make and model number of the mesh system that you have now?

Nov 25, 2020 1:55 PM in response to reiki

Does the capsule need to stay physically plugged into one of the meshed units via an ethernet cable

Yes, at all times.

or can it be accessed wirelessly from my Mac on the same wifi network?

You can back up to the Time Capsule over the mesh WiFi network, but as noted above, the Time Capsule must be connected to a mesh unit using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection.

The Time Capsule cannot connect to the mesh WiFi network using only a wireless connection. It must connect over a wired Ethernet connection.

If you want to hide the Time Capsule, you can locate it anywhere where AC power is available and an Ethernet cable will reach up to a distance of 100 meters or about 328 feet.

how to use time capsule as backup only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.