Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Books, no 2 column view

Hi,

I just wanted to ask if there is a way to reenable the 2 column view in ibooks. I’ve gotten quite used to it, and my reading speed felt a lot faster, and more relaxed, because my eyes didn’t have to dart left to right and I could just move slowly downward with my gaze centered in the middle of a column being able to see the whole line out of my peripheral vision.

Sorry if I’ve expressed myself in inelegant english, its only my second language.

Before the latest update there used to be 2 narrow text columns (like marked in red), now the text fills the whole page.

I searched the settings but couldn’t find anything.

Thanks in advance.

iPad Air 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 7:16 PM

Since I wrote that post I have downloaded almost 10 different reader apps in hopes of finding one that can display two columns in portrait mode. While I could find only one (called Marvin 3) its a really good app.

You can download it for free to try it out, the full version is 5.49€ where I’m at, in your region it may vary.

The only downside is that you cannot add ebooks directly from your iPad memory, but have to use a service like Dropbox to import your books. They offer multiple ways to import books, but that’s what’s most convenient for me.

besides that, the reading experience is great, there is a lot more customizability than in the Apple Books app, and if I had found this app sooner I would’ve definitely used it over Apple Books even before the update. You have so much control over line spacing, margins, and more, and the 2 column view is available no matter the font size.

I have added a screenshot where I set the font size to the smallest available, and decreased margins and line spacing as much as possible, just to show how far it will go, but there are many increments to get it to however you prefer.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2020 7:16 PM in response to NCanavan

Since I wrote that post I have downloaded almost 10 different reader apps in hopes of finding one that can display two columns in portrait mode. While I could find only one (called Marvin 3) its a really good app.

You can download it for free to try it out, the full version is 5.49€ where I’m at, in your region it may vary.

The only downside is that you cannot add ebooks directly from your iPad memory, but have to use a service like Dropbox to import your books. They offer multiple ways to import books, but that’s what’s most convenient for me.

besides that, the reading experience is great, there is a lot more customizability than in the Apple Books app, and if I had found this app sooner I would’ve definitely used it over Apple Books even before the update. You have so much control over line spacing, margins, and more, and the 2 column view is available no matter the font size.

I have added a screenshot where I set the font size to the smallest available, and decreased margins and line spacing as much as possible, just to show how far it will go, but there are many increments to get it to however you prefer.

Nov 25, 2020 8:31 AM in response to In5an1ty

I second the above request! I preferred reading with iBooks because I can make the font larger and forgo reading glasses. The last update that removed the columns when using larger font size has thrown me for a loop. I find my eyes ache when reading with the new format. As a long time iBooks reader I will, very unfortunately, need to move to a Kindle or Nook if the columns are not restored. It’s simply not a feasible option to read within this format. Please consider the request the bring back the columns!

Books, no 2 column view

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.