Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 8 kewps asking for passcode instead of touchID

My wife’s iphone 8 keeps asking for her passcode instead of touchID? She have the latest ios 14.2 and still the problem persists. I have restarted several times, added another finger for her, this works a couple of hours and then just for no reason it requests for a passcode because touch ID does not work.

iPhone 8

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 11:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 12:05 PM

That clarifies this. You can try all the things in this link but if none of them work, you'll need to schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar as it could well be a hardware issue at this point.

Click here --> If Touch ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

9 replies

Nov 24, 2020 12:01 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Gentleman, you dont seem to understand me. I did the update because i thought it will solve her problem. This started when i first upgraded to version 13.6 for her and its ben there ever since , so keep updating to any version that comes including version 14.2, but still the problem is there

i know when you restart or update you have to enter the passcode and from there you only use touchID, she also remembers her passcode but it seems the device does not recognize touchID and asks for passcode instead anytime she picks the phone to use even just after 1 minute of in activity. I also use an iphone but i dont that problem and she does.

Nov 24, 2020 11:45 AM in response to titus227

When you Update an iPhone or you power it off and turn it back on, you will be required to enter the 4 or 6 digit passcode used when the phone was setup new. This is how it has always been. Once the passcode is entered, Touch ID will again work. And Touch ID could not have been turned on without a passcode. You wife will need to enter that passcode which hopefully was noted down somewhere for future reference?

If your wife does not remember the passcode the entire phone will need to erased using your home computer with iTunes by following the directions in this link --> If you forgot the passcode on your iPhone, or your iPhone is disabled - Apple Support

Nov 24, 2020 11:52 AM in response to titus227

You did an iOS update, correct? Once the update was complete, the passcode was required to get back in the phone before Touch ID could be used. Are you suggesting the phone has worked properly after the update was installed and all of the sudden isn't accepting her passcode or are you suggesting it can accept the passcode, but Touch ID doesn't work after that?

Iphone 8 kewps asking for passcode instead of touchID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.