Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ssd is slow

I would like to know if I maxed out speed on my vintage MacPro. I have 4 interal ssd that are rated upto 550mb/sec write and 420mb/sec read. I am getting average 255mb/sec write and 266mb/sec read. I am attaching a Geek bench score that show my MacPro specs.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 6:06 PM

As mentioned in passing above, your Mac Pro 5,1 has only a SATA-2 capability in its main drive bays (300 M Bytes/sec). That can't hurt any Rotating magnetic drive you can put in there, but will slightly clip a 500 M Bytes/sec drive. (which seems to be what you are experiencing)

If what you need is more drive speed, a PCIe slot card can go faster. Most walk away from SATA drives and use other, faster interfaces, but OWC sells a card that will take your 500 GB/sec drive if you hate to set it aside.

Be sure to use a card with a heatsink -- as you go faster, the SSD drives will get hot, and they throttle down when pushed too hard.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2020 6:06 PM in response to aivTO

As mentioned in passing above, your Mac Pro 5,1 has only a SATA-2 capability in its main drive bays (300 M Bytes/sec). That can't hurt any Rotating magnetic drive you can put in there, but will slightly clip a 500 M Bytes/sec drive. (which seems to be what you are experiencing)

If what you need is more drive speed, a PCIe slot card can go faster. Most walk away from SATA drives and use other, faster interfaces, but OWC sells a card that will take your 500 GB/sec drive if you hate to set it aside.

Be sure to use a card with a heatsink -- as you go faster, the SSD drives will get hot, and they throttle down when pushed too hard.

Nov 24, 2020 3:04 PM in response to DonH49

If you click on below my message is the full specs under GeekBench 5 score. Hope this help:

Benchmark Summary

Single-Core Score 676

Crypto Score 632

Integer Score 662

Floating Point Score 715

Multi-Core Score 6803

Crypto Score 5860

Integer Score 6685

Floating Point Score 7215

System Information

Operating System macOS 10.14.6 (Build 18G6042)

Model MacPro5,1

Model ID MacPro5,1

Motherboard Apple Inc. Mac-F221BEC8

BIOS Apple Inc. 144.0.0.0.0

Processor Information

Name Intel Xeon X5690

Topology 2 Processors, 12 Cores, 24 Threads

Identifier GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 44 Stepping 2

Base Frequency 3.46 GHz

L1 Instruction Cache 32.0 KB x 6

L1 Data Cache 32.0 KB x 6

L2 Cache 256 KB x 6

L3 Cache 12.0 MB

Memory Information

Size 64.0 GB

Type DDR3

Clock Frequency 666 MHz

Nov 25, 2020 8:38 AM in response to aivTO

Your SSDs look healthy and as @Grant mentioned they are restricted to SATA II speeds of 300MB/s. You may want to consider enabling TRIM on the SSDs by using the following Terminal command:

sudo  trimforce  enable

If you don't enable TRIM, then I recommend you uncheck "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" so that the SSDs' internal garbage collection routines have time to run when the SSDs are not being actively used.

You need to uninstall ESET and CleanMyMac by following the developers' instructions. Anti-virus and cleaning apps are not needed on a Mac and usually causes more problems than they solve plus they impact system performance.

ssd is slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.