Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Display Lag

I'm having this same problem on a 2015 MacBook Pro (13" / 2.9GHz Intel i5 / 16GB RAM). Oddly enough, I am not having this problem on a lower spec 2013 MacBook Pro (15" / 2.3GHz). I have more CPU available on the newer machine, but it's the only one with the problem.

My retina display is totally unaffected, and my computer runs as normal, but the external display (connected via HDMI) lags considerably. I've read that this is due to CPU, and that does not make sense in my case, because the older machine with lower specs and nearly no available space on the drive works just fine (no lag at all). Usually, I'd just use the old machine, but it barely works anymore, and isn't stable enough to do music production on.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 2:51 PM

Hi there, tjamieson1.

It appears that you're having a problem with the external monitor you're using. It works fine on your 2013 MacBook Pro, but not so much on your 2015 MacBook Pro. The external monitor lags quite a bit, and we're glad to help with this.

Find out which graphics processor is in use on your MacBook Pro - Apple Support -- This may be related to the GPU on both.  See which ones each uses.

Set graphics performance on MacBook Pro - Apple Support -- Or it may be that you need to turn off "Automatic graphics switching" on your newer Mac. See if your external monitor works fine with this setting turned off.

Feel free to get back to us with any questions or problems you may have.

Take care.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2020 2:51 PM in response to tjamieson1

Hi there, tjamieson1.

It appears that you're having a problem with the external monitor you're using. It works fine on your 2013 MacBook Pro, but not so much on your 2015 MacBook Pro. The external monitor lags quite a bit, and we're glad to help with this.

Find out which graphics processor is in use on your MacBook Pro - Apple Support -- This may be related to the GPU on both.  See which ones each uses.

Set graphics performance on MacBook Pro - Apple Support -- Or it may be that you need to turn off "Automatic graphics switching" on your newer Mac. See if your external monitor works fine with this setting turned off.

Feel free to get back to us with any questions or problems you may have.

Take care.

External Display Lag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.