Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay not working with HomePod Mini

I’m on my second HomePod Mini and neither will allow me to Airplay from my device(s) to the Mini. My Mini connects ok to the internet- so wifi isn’t the issue. My regular HomePod (14.2), is working great without issues. I can ask Siri to play a playlist on the HomePod Mini and that works, but I purchased the mini primarily to Airplay.

This is my first negative experience with an Apple product.

I’m dreading calling Apple support back because I already know 2 hours of my life will be wasted trying to fix something that’s not working on Apple’s end.

Is anyone else having Airplay issues on their HomePod Mini?

Thanks

HomePod mini, 14

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 2:03 PM

Miracle of miracles, I was able to fix the Airplay issue today 👍

At Macrumors there’s a thread that helped.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/stuck-on-configuring-mini-will-not-setup.2269334/

All I did was go into my Apple ID device list on my iPhone, click on the MiniPod, wait then backed out - before signing out of iCloud as the thread suggested.

I then went to my iPad and it Airplay’d perfectly!

Then I got the courage to try my iPhone 12 ProMax... and it worked!!! Handoff, Airplay etc, work flawlessly now. I don’t understand why it started working after doing something so innocuous, but it did. Perhaps iCloud just needed a nudge...?

I sure hope this helps you guys 😊

Similar questions

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2020 2:03 PM in response to Kgranger11

Miracle of miracles, I was able to fix the Airplay issue today 👍

At Macrumors there’s a thread that helped.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/stuck-on-configuring-mini-will-not-setup.2269334/

All I did was go into my Apple ID device list on my iPhone, click on the MiniPod, wait then backed out - before signing out of iCloud as the thread suggested.

I then went to my iPad and it Airplay’d perfectly!

Then I got the courage to try my iPhone 12 ProMax... and it worked!!! Handoff, Airplay etc, work flawlessly now. I don’t understand why it started working after doing something so innocuous, but it did. Perhaps iCloud just needed a nudge...?

I sure hope this helps you guys 😊

Nov 25, 2020 8:16 AM in response to LindaBu

I am having this issue too ..... Mini works fine except the handoff feature does not work. Airplay, Siri, Wifi Connection, sound quality have all been as expected - but not the "hand-off". I have an iPhone 12 Pro updated to 14.2.1 and have updated the Mini to 14.2. I was on the phone with Apple Support several days ago making sure all of the settings were correct and he cold not resolve the issue. Apple Support has sent the diagnostics to Apple Engineering for evaluation. I am currently waiting for their analysis/evaluation. I am likely not to use the "handoff feature" much - but it is annoying nevertheless that I (and so far Apple) can not get it to work.

Nov 25, 2020 12:40 PM in response to David B1

I opened my second HomePod mini and that one set up and connected just fine. I’m able to see it in the Home app and am able to connect to it. The other one still won’t connect via AirPlay. I’m able to use Siri but still won’t connect to any of our iPhones or iPads. All are updated with the latest software. I’ll be calling Apple Support soon.

Dec 9, 2020 10:12 PM in response to LindaBu

I gave this method a try, but unfortunately the only result was me having to sign back in to all the little iCloud services, Apple Music, re-download GBs of music and add all my Apple Pay cards back to my phone AND watch. Numerous hard resets using the touch method and my MBP to no avail. All up-to-date with 14.2.1.

I will note that I am able to airplay to my HomePod Biggie, add HomePod Mini as a little tagalong, control both with airplay, with combined and separate volume control. THEN I can even uncheck HP biggie and play to only HomePod mini and tada! It works. I’m then able to use handoff. But this only last for a few minutes before I’m back to airplay and handoff not working.

The big feature loss, for me at least, is being able to control the HomePod with my phone as a remote. Specifically I want to control the volume without having to shout at it and interrupt playback of live radio, discretely DJ, etc. This is also not possible with the symptoms described.

I thought it might be related to my wifi 6 mesh network, but if it works even intermittently with 5GHz, then I suspect it’s something else. All other internet features work fine. Siri, HomeKit, Apple Music, etc.

Still stuck.

Dec 11, 2020 8:21 PM in response to iMacLover

Well, I did have similar issues with the HomePod connecting to the airplay intermittently and not able to use the phone as a remote to control the music and the handoff feature wasn't working. 2 things that I realized; my house has a mesh network hence the iPhone would keep moving between the routers (SSIDs). I turned off the auto join feature of the network to which my HomePod mini is not attached, thereby ensuring that my iPhone sticks to the network to which the HomePod mini is also attached. One of the other things that I realised that the router to which my HomePod was attached, had issues with my other apple devices too like the appletv, few apps not opening on the iPhone, though browsing on the internet through the MacBook was never an issue. So I just replaced this particular router with a new single channel router and that was the key, now all the devices connected this new router works perfect including the new HomePod mini does everything that it is supposed to do including the handoff from the iPhone.

Dec 11, 2020 8:39 PM in response to saibal_delhi

Interesting! Thanks!

I think this may have something to do with my woes, but I have so many other devices connected to this network that can talk to each other. If the solution really is “just reconfigure advanced settings of your router and/or replace equipment” for a device that has no visual interface (besides some LEDs) it REALLY takes away the magic. I feel like SO many people have mesh setups and will have a terrible experience like we have or just never get to use the features.

Both my router and the satellite use the same SSID, so would that cause an issue, especially if my phone and HomePod are both connected to the satellite? Like, it’s clearly connected to the internet. It’s also WIFI 6 dual band, and I know HomePod softball only has N, but I’ve read it’s compatible with the 5GHz band (obviously as this is the band it connected to).

Man it shouldn’t be this hard to set this thing up. Lol. I’m one return, 4 phone support staff, and 5 hours invested into getting this little guy to let me adjust the volume of of the radio.

Dec 19, 2020 8:04 PM in response to Stephandb22

Did u delete the HomePod from your list of devices and restored it? I actually signed out and signed back into my cloud. Also, in my case multiple SSIDs on my mesh network was making it more complicated. So now I have enabled only the auto join feature for the SSID to which my HomePod is hooked. For the rest, whenever am n those parts of the house... join those networks manually. Btw in my case, I had replaced my router too.. it had issues connecting with other airplay devices previously... so made sense... now 🤞🏾 every feature works

Dec 20, 2020 8:01 PM in response to saibal_delhi

Hi I did what you suggested: removed the home pods from the home app and factory reset them, rebooted the home app, across all devices, deleted it and reloaded it at great cost of time as I have the hue lighting system so spent half a day reconfiguring all the lights, re booted the router and still no connection with airplay on all devices, phones and iPads. I can’t see how buying a new router will help except add considerable cost to get something to work!!!

Dec 21, 2020 6:15 AM in response to Steadz12

Steadz12 wrote:

Thanks Linda! Did you remove the Homepod mini from your Apple ID list and then Sign out and sign into your apple ID ? And then did you have to set up the homepod mini with your phone again ?

Hi,

With the 2nd Mini-Pod no, I didn't have to sign out of anything.

When I received the 1st mini-pod and it didn't work, I had signed out of iCloud/deleted device/restored mini, multiple times before calling apple support, then Apple Support had me re-do everything I just did all over again.

The 2nd Mini started up and instantly didn't work. I was convinced it was an internal antenna issue inside the mini-pod because it wouldn't connect via airplay - and the few times it did connect, it was popping and stuttering.

I never would have thought just by going into my Device List and clicking on the Mini would have fixed it. It makes zero sense. But it's almost a month later and it's still working.

Dec 21, 2020 6:28 AM in response to Stephandb22

I'm on a Mesh system as well, although I separated 2.4 and 5ghz. My mini-pod and HomePod are both connected to 5ghz.

This is a frustrating and very time consuming issue.

Every time I update my HomePod (and now the Mini), I say a silent prayer that it won't knock out my Pod. I've had a lot of problems in the past of installing updates and losing the ability to play my Playlists.

Airplay not working with HomePod Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.