Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 16 2020 Overheating after Big Sur, Messages using 350% of CPU

Hi, got my Macbook 16inch in October. Updated to Big Sur. Now every so often the fans go crazy and it gets super hot. The apps running on it aren't unusual. Activity monitor says Messages is using 338% of CPU, even when I'm not using the app that often.

Anyone else noticing their computer is overheating thanks to Big Sur update?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 3:07 PM

Pat89TO wrote:

Hi, got my Macbook 16inch in October. Updated to Big Sur. Now every so often the fans go crazy and it gets super hot. The apps running on it aren't unusual. Activity monitor says Messages is using 338% of CPU, even when I'm not using the app that often.

You can force quit Messages from your Activity Monitor by double clicking the process.

Sign out of Messages in iCloud.

Sign out of iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV , Mac...

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test. Reboot as normal and test as caches get rebuilt.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2020 3:07 PM in response to Pat89TO

Pat89TO wrote:

You can force quit Messages from your Activity Monitor by double clicking the process.

Sign out of Messages in iCloud.

Sign out of iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV , Mac...

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test. Reboot as normal and test as caches get rebuilt.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

Macbook Pro 16 2020 Overheating after Big Sur, Messages using 350% of CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.