Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add my wife to Family Sharing Program.

Hi all,

Today I bought my wife an Apple Series 6 watch mainly for the Fall Protection feature.

She has no other Apple devices.

I created an Apple ID for her.

I am trying to add her to the Family Sharing program so I can use my iPhone 6s with iOS 14.2 to set up her watch. I send the invitation email to her email address which is forwarded to my iMac. When we click on Get Started button in the email, I get an error message in my Systems Preferences - Family Sharing which says: "Unable to reply to Family Sharing invitation. Replying to Family Sharing invitation could not be completed at this time. Please try again later."

I have tried this 5 times over the past hour and always get the same error message.

Any thoughts on how to add my wife to Family Sharing when she owns no Apple devices?

Apple Watch

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 3:57 PM

The Apple Watch will be using your Apple ID since it's being paired to your iPhone 6s. It uses the Apple ID of the iPhone it's paired with so no real need for her own Apple ID at this point until she has her own iPhone to pair it with instead.

4 replies

Nov 24, 2020 4:19 PM in response to jnjsq2

To do that you need an Watch SE or Series 4, 5 or 6 GPS + Cellular models.

You can set up and manage Apple Watch for someone who doesn’t have their own iPhone—your school-aged child or parent, for example. To do so, you must be the family organizer or parent/guardian in your Family Sharing group.

The iPhone you use to initially pair and set up the Apple Watch must be within normal Bluetooth range (about 33 feet or 10 meters) of the Apple Watch to manage settings and update the software. The person you set up Apple Watch for must be part of your Family Sharing group and have a cellular-capable Apple Watch SE or Apple Watch Series 4 or later. (Your family member’s watch doesn’t have to use the same cellular carrier as the iPhone you manage it with.) See the iPhone User Guide for information about setting up Family Sharing.

Can't add my wife to Family Sharing Program.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.