Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Drive Space

I am currently running Yosemity 10. 10.5. I am trying to free up hard drive space to upgrade to the next operating system. After deleting all photo's and several hundred files I still don't have any more space.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 7:00 PM

Two suggestions: Start with How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support. Don't forget to empty the Trash in apps that manage their own Trash such as iPhoto and Mail.

The following User Tip may also be helpful: What is "Other" storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out? - Apple Community.

You need a lot of disk space to upgrade to Big Sur. Excerpted from How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support:

"If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, macOS Big Sur requires 35.5GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, macOS Big Sur requires up to 44.5GB of available storage."

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2020 7:00 PM in response to Bey16

Two suggestions: Start with How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support. Don't forget to empty the Trash in apps that manage their own Trash such as iPhoto and Mail.

The following User Tip may also be helpful: What is "Other" storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out? - Apple Community.

You need a lot of disk space to upgrade to Big Sur. Excerpted from How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support:

"If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, macOS Big Sur requires 35.5GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, macOS Big Sur requires up to 44.5GB of available storage."

Hard Drive Space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.