Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't hear Roland JV1010's sounds in Garageband

Using a Yamaha DGX-660 and Focusrite 4i4 to connect to my Macbook Pro. We are able to play the Yamaha keyboard sounds nicely, as well as Garageband's Software Instruments. Awesome! We just can't hear the Roland JV1010's sounds! Right now, we have the Roland connected to the Focusrite (from the Roland's L Mono output to the instrument input on the front of the Focusrite). Do I need a midi cable? If so, do we run it from the output of the sound module to the Focusrite's midi in?

Do I need a certain setting in Garageband to hear these sounds? How do we set the midi settings in Garageband?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 5:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 7:23 AM

As a rule, for Garageband you don't use external sound modules, just internal sounds. You will need to get midi notes to the Roland, and then record them as a "real instrument" in GarageBand.

Of course, Logic, Garageband's smarter brother, can handle this easily.

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 24, 2020 8:51 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Thanks a bunch, Keith. I am beginning to see now from the GB side of things. I hadn't considered its midi out capability. I wonder if I am trying to get my keyboard to talk to the Roland module in the correct way.  Normally this is where a MIDI cable would come in I guess… MIDI out from the keyboard to the MIDI input on the Roland (if I understand correctly). However, my DGX-660 only has a USB out on the back. I have connected the keyboard to my laptop in order to get the MIDI data from the keyboard into the laptop, and then I've tried sending it back out through the Focusrite, which has standard 5-pin MIDI on the back. I've run a MIDI cable from the Focusrite to the Roland. No dice! Maybe my set-up there was too complicated.

Do you think I need a 3rd party midi host? They are rather expensive, but I'd love to use this sound module. Thanks in advance for your help.

Can't hear Roland JV1010's sounds in Garageband

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.