Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

midi out

Hi,

Tearing my hair out :-)

When I open a new project and press play, midi data is being sent from logic (see image below) out of my interface and into a hard synthesizer, triggering notes to sound from the synth. What is causing this midi data to be sent?

How do I "clean the slate" so that Logic does not send any midi data unless I specifically route some midi out?

Thanks!!!!

Garryuuuu

I'm using:

Logic 10.4.1

iMac 3.2Ghz Intel Core i5

Presonus Audiobox22VSL for midi out (connected by USB to iMac)

Roland Keyboard controller A-49- midi in to iMac through USB- for Logic Midi in

Korg Minologue xd- synthesizer receiving midi from Presonus

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 3:19 AM

Similar questions

15 replies

Sep 3, 2022 7:35 PM in response to yoyoBen

Thanks!! Yes I think I had the red arrow pointing to that sustained midi value?

I am getting this (see photo below) with absolutely no hardware attached to the iMac other than the audio/midi interface (Presonus) without anything plugged in to the midi in/out of the presonus. Presonus interface is class compliant so doesn't need drivers. It seems to me that when I press play, there is some midi data being generated by the iMac or at least being outputed by the iMac.

Is there are way in the iMac to look at an overall Midi output monitor?

Sep 3, 2022 4:34 AM in response to Garryuuuu

Hi there, this does seem weird indeed. Try disconnecting your ALL external MIDI devices first, and check again. That's the first thing I'd do to rule out the external equipment. If this issue disappears after that, try reconnecting the devices one by one until it appears again to identify the exact device.

If this issue still persists regardless of external devices, I'd look in the Environment for the potential culprit. There might be an object which is sending these MIDI events out. Environment is typically project specific (i.e. it's unique to every project). You could open the Environment from the top menu bar: Window > Open MIDI Environment. Once it opens up, look up "Click and Ports" layer, and also browse through the layers to check for the misbehaving Environment object.

As a sidenote, if you have a project loading by default when the Logic app launches, that also causes its Environment (with that particular MIDI bug already present) to load. You could simply set Logic not to open projects from a Template in Logic Pro X > Preferences > General > Project Handling (tab) > Startup Action (setting): choose "Do Nothing" to try (you'd have to create a new project manually, but when you do so, create an empty project, as opposed to opening one from a saved template).

Hope that helps, cheers!

Sep 3, 2022 5:33 AM in response to Radarhus

Thanks!!

I went into "clicks and ports" but don't really understand what I'm looking at so I'll have to try and learn a little about that- thanks for putting me on that track.

I tried "Do nothing" and then restarted Logic and started a new project from scratch (no template) as you suggested and the problem persisted, so I disconnected EVERYTHING from the iMac. When EVERYTHING was disconnected and I pressed play, there was not midi data out showing on the display. As soon as I reconnected the Presonus interface alone (without any midi cables plugged into interface) the Logic display once again showed outgoing midi after pressing play. So you've helped me isolate that the problem seems to be associated with the Presonus interface being connected. Does that provide any further clues for a solution?

Thanks again!!

Sep 3, 2022 6:20 AM in response to Garryuuuu

Most welcome, glad you managed to ID the culprit! Unfortunately, I have zero experience with Presonus interfaces, so I can only provide general troubleshooting tips.

Next step I'd try is re-installing its driver, if it requires one to work (some interfaces are plug-and-play). Also, you could delve into Audio MIDI Setup utility (in Applications/Utilities folder), to check whether there's a setting there that causes these MIDI events to be constantly sent out. Also, check Presonus' tech support resources, maybe it's a known issue which has a fix.

Sep 11, 2022 5:18 PM in response to Pancenter

Thanks for all help thus far.

One final question on the topic- how does one make bypass all control surfaces the default?

I found this discussion https://www.logicprohelp.com/forums/topic/143512-bypass-all-control-surfaces-each-time-connecting-disconnecting-midi-controller-or-device/ , however I have been unable to find the solution.

Everything working fine, as long as I remember to bypass all control surfaces as soon as I open Logic before opening a session.

Sep 11, 2022 8:37 PM in response to Pancenter

Thanks Pancentre. You are correct- I have a Mackie control listed there that I am not using- I had started to delete this but got a message that data would be lost and that it’s irreversible- I was concerned that I may have an issue if trying to install a mackie controller in the future. I suppose I’ll cross that bridge when it comes :-)

Thanks again

midi out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.