Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro Slow After Upgrading to BigSur 2020 iMac 5K 128GB RAM 16GB Graphics

Hello, I hope your day finds you well.

I recently purchased a new iMac 5K 2020 with 16BG graphics and I upgraded the RAM to 128GB!

It is upgraded tp BigSur and runs SUPER SMOOTH except for FCPX.

I've noticed that sharing is so much faster however creating new Libraries and even Projects takes a while. Even producing a rainbow bouncy ball (on FCPX only, the rest of the computer works perfect even during the FC lags). I never had such wait times on my MacBook Pro. Seriously, even things like adding marker slows FCP and creates a beachball. Eventually the tasks get done but they take a while.

Something like adding a marker was INSTANT on my MBP running Catalina. The tested moving an element across the screen, also lags and produces a beachball. Activity monitor doesn't seem to be effected at all by this... This is very concerning.

Thank you for your time and responses.

P.S. For any creators:

BigSur and Photoshop are NOT friends lol

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 5:46 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Nov 24, 2020 6:14 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Running the check now. I allowed Full Drive Access it wouldn't allow me to check the top option that mentioned options of dialogue? Specifically, when I hit start scan it says "Full Drive Access not fully setup would you like to...?" I hit yes, the Full Drive Access menu pops up and the bottom option has a green checkmark but the top option just says allow. When I hit allow it beachballs and then nothing happens.... So in essence it didn't allow for Full Drive Access

I already went into system preferences and allowed Full Drive Access in the system itself.

Final Cut Pro Slow After Upgrading to BigSur 2020 iMac 5K 128GB RAM 16GB Graphics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.