Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix iPad keyboard layout?

I have an iPad Air 2, iOS 14.2, and the number key is in the lower left, and then the emoji button, then the mic.

On my new iPad Air 4, these buttons are switched! WTF? There is also no underscore or dash buttons on the new keyboard. My iPhone 8 Plus also has the number button, then empoji, then the mic.

I have added this feedback to Apple, but is there any way to fix it? It's really annoying. I know I can remove the Emoji keyboard, but then I don't have the emoji keyboard, which I like.

iPad Air 2:

iPad Air 4 (Wrong!)

iPhone 8 plus:

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 7:14 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 3, 2020 9:28 AM in response to Allan Marcus1

Apple likes to mess with our heads. Why they make these arbitrary changes baffles me. I have had my iPad Air 4 for about a month, and my thumbs still go to the old position from the iPad 6 ....... same version of iOS, just an arbitrary change. I suspect when my thumbs are finally retrained to the “new” position, they’ll swap it back.

Dec 3, 2020 11:31 AM in response to stedman1

I'm still getting used to no home button. I really don't like it. It's more work to flip up than the press a button. I also have to "hunt" for the power button when I need to authenticate. The visual reminder is nice, but seeing the home button in my peripheral vision just works better for me. I'll eventually get used to it.

As for the keyboard, I just disabled emojis. I don't use often, and when I do, the old school keys works well!

:-)

How to fix iPad keyboard layout?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.