You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express keeps blinking yellow

My Airport Express from several years ago now blinks yellow only. I read the instructions that came with the thing, but cannot understand all the instructions. I have used Apple computers since I bought my first in 1996, and upgraded every few years to now. I have a Catalina 10.15.7.

I am much older now and have not kept up with the lingo.

iPhone XS

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 9:35 AM

9 replies

Nov 25, 2020 11:06 AM in response to Ri42

My Airport Express from several years ago now blinks yellow only.

How many years ago??

Is your Express the most recent one.. that has 2 ethernet ports.. with power cord.. or the older one with single ethernet and duckhead power connector? If the later you will need to get a magnifying glass and find the model. Gen1 A1264 is the only one still supported. Older G wireless A1088 is not supported now.

Does it show up in the airport utility on your Mac? If so everything is good.

How is it currently setup in your network and how do you want it to be setup?

It is easy to press the reset for about 10sec and do a new configuration. If you give us the details we can give you details on how to setup.

Nov 25, 2020 3:39 PM in response to Ri42

The AirPort Express is at least 8 years old and as much as 12 depending on when it was placed into service. The average useful life of this product was about 5 years, so you have done remarkably well.

The Express has likely failed. You can try a few more times if you wish, but I'm afraid that it will not help.

Although Apple discontinued the AirPort line over 2 years ago, you can still find products online at sites like Ebay and Amazon. Look for a 2nd Generation AirPort Express, Model A1392.

Nov 25, 2020 5:02 PM in response to Ri42

The simplest and easiest choice for most users is to use a modem/router......also known as a gateway...... that is provided by their Internet Service Provider (ISP). That way, you know that the product is optimized for the Internet service from your provider and support is simple......just call your ISP. It's a one stop deal for everything.

If you purchase another router for use with the service from your ISP.......and you have a problem.......the ISP invariably blames the router, so they won't help you. And the support folks from the router manufacturer will blame the problem on your ISP.

In other words, it's always the other guy's fault.

As far as recommending a specific router, I will only recommend a product if I have used it myself. I still have a 5 year old AirPort Extreme that is still working well, but it will be replaced in the next year or two.

Tops on my look list is Synology, but it's probably a lot more product than most folks need.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/RT2600ac

Airport Express keeps blinking yellow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.