Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX Library icon change

My Mac has recently started displaying FCPX libraries in the finder with the icons in the screenshot attached - as opposed to the usual 4 squares.

This is my bigger concern - they are also referred to in the Kind column as a Package rather than a Final Cut Pro Library. However, it seems I am able to open the libraries with no problems.

Is this normal behaviour, or is there a way to revert it back to displaying as a FCP Library under Kind with the original icon?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 12:03 PM

It’s fine. It’s been going on for some time. Since the start of Catalina I think. It’s quite random and doesn’t affect anything. The library is technically a bundle or package. You can replace them if you wish. Use Cmd-I on a library with the correct icon. In the Info window select the icon at the top and copy it. Use Cmd-I on the wrong icon, select the icon at the top of the window and paste the correct icon. Repeat the paste part as often as you want.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2020 12:03 PM in response to AlexArcane

It’s fine. It’s been going on for some time. Since the start of Catalina I think. It’s quite random and doesn’t affect anything. The library is technically a bundle or package. You can replace them if you wish. Use Cmd-I on a library with the correct icon. In the Info window select the icon at the top and copy it. Use Cmd-I on the wrong icon, select the icon at the top of the window and paste the correct icon. Repeat the paste part as often as you want.

Nov 25, 2020 12:32 PM in response to AlexArcane

For what it's worth, I seem to have found a solution for this.

Initially I thought about restoring from a Time Machine backup, went as far as selecting this in Recovery Mode, but then cancelled. Then considered reinstalling macOS, but again decided not to. I doubt these steps had anything to do with it, but just documenting them in case.

When I rebooted out of Recovery Mode, I had some problems logging in - the loading bar was stuck and not responding - so initially I reset the SMC, which didn't work, then reset the NVRAM, which did.

So my libraries are all showing up as a Final Cut Pro Library under Kind, and the icon is correct.

FCPX Library icon change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.